Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,923   Posts: 1,522,102   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Graduated center ND filter for Mamiya 7 lenses?

Does anyone use Graduated center ND filter for Mamiya 7 lenses?

I may be using the wrong term but I know they make them for certain LF cameras but I've noticed a LOT of vignetting on the Mamiya 7 lenses, and most of the time I like it, but sometimes I don't want the effect like in panoramically it images I want the detail in the corners.

Anyone?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never seen one for any of the 7 lenses, they'd have to be manufactured specific to each lens and would likely only be effective at certain (wider) apertures before ending up with a reverse vignette.

Might be simpler to stop down? Or are you seeing problems at small apertures. Which lens(es) by the way?

Can't say I ever noticed a problem with the 65 or 80.
    Last edited by BennehBoy; 10-19-2013 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I also have no problems with the 65mm lens.

Can you post some examples?

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hmm I think my 43mm has it worst? I'm on my phone and only have a few examples accessible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382218206.666829.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	75763

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382218636.168163.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	75764

These aren't terrible but another example

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382218772.727752.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	75765

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382218842.351746.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	75766

It seems more noticeable in darker scenes or darker parts of a scene.

I may also have slightly corrected for this already in these images so it might have been stronger before, but I could have sworn it was not just in the 43mm but also the 65mm and MAYBE 150mm (that's all I have).

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, I just did the calculations. On 6x7 (90 mm diagonal), a 43 mm lens will be down between 1 2/3 (cos^3) and a hair over 2 (cos^4) in the corners. A 65, around 1 stop down, and 150 < 1/4 stop. If y'r 150 vignettes perceptibly the reason has to be mechanical, perhaps a filter in a really thick ring.

I have no idea what size the M7 43 mm's filter threads are. You're in NYC, should be able to rent a center filter for a 47 SA or 45 AG. These come in a couple of sizes, if one fits your lens rent it and see what it does for you. These beasties are all a little approximate.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Does anyone use Graduated center ND filter for Mamiya 7 lenses?

I may be using the wrong term but I know they make them for certain LF cameras but I've noticed a LOT of vignetting on the Mamiya 7 lenses, and most of the time I like it, but sometimes I don't want the effect like in panoramically it images I want the detail in the corners.

Anyone?

Why would you want to use such a gimmick?

Sent by an old out of date computer.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Stone, I just did the calculations. On 6x7 (90 mm diagonal), a 43 mm lens will be down between 1 2/3 (cos^3) and a hair over 2 (cos^4) in the corners. A 65, around 1 stop down, and 150 < 1/4 stop. If y'r 150 vignettes perceptibly the reason has to be mechanical, perhaps a filter in a really thick ring.

I have no idea what size the M7 43 mm's filter threads are. You're in NYC, should be able to rent a center filter for a 47 SA or 45 AG. These come in a couple of sizes, if one fits your lens rent it and see what it does for you. These beasties are all a little approximate.
    Well certainly it happens with and without filter rings so that's not the issue.

Also I don't live in NYC I live in CT (it's easy to make that mistake obviously I understand).

I guess I'll just deal with it, many times it's nice, just sometimes on chromes especially it's stronger.

I also don't understand your math, and I mean that I couldn't handle trigonometry at all and I'm not even sure what you said really means, can you dummy it down? Why would the lens mm change the "stop"?

Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why would you want to use such a gimmick?

Sent by an old out of date computer.
    Lol, the same reason many LF shooters use them, to creat an evenly exposed image...

Sent from a phone with probably more technology than your computer

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The graduated center filter was a big (expensive) deal for "professional" color slide shooters for the M7 series' 43mm lens, at one time. I've used the lens without for years, both on chromes and B/W. I've never personally had a need for it. Although I don't shoot much color, I've had nothing but good results without. Likewise, of the thousands of monochrome negatives I've made with the combination, I've never either noticed it, or was easily able to adjust in printing. The 43's lens hood might help a great deal, assuming you've got one. As per Dan's observations, I'd be more afraid of the filter's unspecific adulterations to light.

BTW, I've also never used such a filter with LF, although the potential for uneven exposure with wide angle lenses is much greater. I always take care of it in printing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    The graduated center filter was a big (expensive) deal for "professional" color slide shooters for the M7 series' 43mm lens, at one time. I've used the lens without for years, both on chromes and B/W. I've never personally had a need for it. Although I don't shoot much color, I've had nothing but good results without. Likewise, of the thousands of monochrome negatives I've made with the combination, I've never either noticed it, or was easily able to adjust in printing. The 43's lens hood might help a great deal, assuming you've got one. As per Dan's observations, I'd be more afraid of the filter's unspecific adulterations to light.

BTW, I've also never used such a filter with LF, although the potential for uneven exposure with wide angle lenses is much greater. I always take care of it in printing.
    Interesting, I don't print (yet) optically and dislike having to do it digitally in post.

Yea I only learned about center density filters after reading about the trouble with ultra wide LF lenses which is how I got the thought in the first place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin