Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,261   Online: 787
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550

    Hasselblad 110mm F2, aperture stuck

    I think I may have heard of this problem, but recently my 110mm F2 Planar stopped stopping down... till recently, I could only go from F2 to F2.8.. today, I couldn't even go to F2.8. While I bought this lens to shoot it at F2, I'd still love to be able to do landscape photography with it now and then.

    So I'd like to repair it, and I'm guessing it will require professional work (HasselbladBron I guess). The question I have is, anybody have experience with this problem and know how much it would cost to repair it? Any place cheaper than HasselbladBron?

    Not that I'd think twice about repairing it (I won't, regardless of cost), but I just spent $650 repairing my 903SWC at HB and if it's going to cost a lot, I'm going to want to wait a month or two before I ship it out.

    Thanks!

    P.S. I did not drop or bump the lens; it's not impact damage. I believe I heard somewhere that it's an issue with a worn bushing somewhere...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,069
    Yes, I had that very problem. There is a white plastic ring inside which split such that it could expand a bit and binded (sic). It was a simple fix but did require disassembly and the actual replacement of the gasket.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

    Regards
    Bill

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Yes, I had that very problem. There is a white plastic ring inside which split such that it could expand a bit and binded (sic). It was a simple fix but did require disassembly and the actual replacement of the gasket.
    Ah, cool, I'm comfortable disassembling the lens; so I guess I just need to order the part? Do you happen to have written down the part number?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    24
    Could also be oil on the blades. I have 3 F lens and they all have / had sticky aperture blades due to oil (and it is a common issue with CF and older C lenses to.

    Careful taking the front group off, the bezel on Zeiss lenses are typically really tight, it's easy to scratch / damage it taking it off.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    Could also be oil on the blades. I have 3 F lens and they all have / had sticky aperture blades due to oil (and it is a common issue with CF and older C lenses to.
    It feels a lot... *stiffer*, for the lack of a better word, than oil on the blades. The aperture ring is physically, unturnable. Thanks for the advice

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Ah, cool, I'm comfortable disassembling the lens; so I guess I just need to order the part? Do you happen to have written down the part number?
    Alas no.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

    Regards
    Bill

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    76
    I just checked my lens, whew, it is good.

    I had to call Hasselblad USA for a part, and was assisted by a lady who was very very helpful and capable in looking up parts.

    And they were good in ordering and sending it out promptly.

    ...Vick

  8. #8
    Mark Feldstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Monterey, CA / BiCoastal NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    163
    Unless you really know what you're doing and have all the tools necessary to do this plus the parts and know what to look for with other potentially worn parts in the same lens, I'd defer to someone who really has all that stuff and the experience. Like a factory trained Hasselblad Tech (rather than Blad/Bron.

    Since you're in Boston, I'd just drop the dime and take it to David Odess in Randolph, MA. His prices are really fair, especially for a CLA with minor parts, he guarantees his work which is excellent and he's a good guy. Check him out.
    http://www.david-odess.com/index.html He's only been at this for about 37-38 years. I think that'd keep you and your 110 really happy.
    Mark
    _________________________________
    Without guys like John Coltrane, Count Basie and Duke Ellington, life....would be meaningless.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Since you're in Boston, I'd just drop the dime and take it to David Odess in Randolph, MA. His prices are really fair, especially for a CLA with minor parts, he guarantees his work which is excellent and he's a good guy. Check him out.
    http://www.david-odess.com/index.html He's only been at this for about 37-38 years. I think that'd keep you and your 110 really happy.
    Mark
    Thanks for the info; unfortunately, he doesn't service "F" lenses

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by vysk View Post
    I just checked my lens, whew, it is good.

    I had to call Hasselblad USA for a part, and was assisted by a lady who was very very helpful and capable in looking up parts.

    And they were good in ordering and sending it out promptly.

    ...Vick

    How difficult was the disassembly/reassembly? Does it entail taking out optical elements? Are there springs, ball-bearings, etc, that require extra careful handling?

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin