Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,231   Online: 1109

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Need suggestions for protecting focusing screen on RB67

I recently cracked my focusing screen by not having it properly protected while in my camera bag. I had removed the prism in order for the camera to fit in my bag. That left the screen unprotected which resulted in it getting cracked. I have looked to see if there is any accessory to protect it but have found nothing. Other than putting some padding over it, I'm not sure what else I can do.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    35mm
    How about a throw-away waist-level finder, or some part thereof?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too would suggest a waist level finder.

But Mamiya did make covers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Graham, pity about your misfortune. I have an RZ, on which I put the WLF when in the bag. If I need the prism finder, I make sure to put the WLF back on when stowing it. There were covers made, but it may be that a cheaper option is simply to get a bag that the camera fits in. WLFs are easy to find and inexpensive, though. Focus screens should also still be relatively easy to find. If you can't find a focus screen, you may consider buying a body for spares. I see such deals coming up often, and they will typically go for the same as one or two useful spares.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DIY a cover that is locked in the finder fixture on the body. Maybe it makes sense to use parts from a junk finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can pick up a WLF on KEH for pretty cheap if you watch the listings. There is one there right now for $33.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Waist Level Finder is a great idea, it stows away like a cover, is cheap AND... you have another view finder option instead of just a cover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Logically, get a bigger bag that will take the camera with the prism fitted.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin