Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,389   Online: 932

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both take great pictures. The advantage with the Hassy is interchangeable lenses. If all you intend to use is an 80mm go with the Rollei. It is more compact.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Subject matter would be important for me to chose one of the two. If you shoot street scenes and mostly handheld there is no question that the Rolleiflex is the right tool but if you always use a tripod and shoot both B&W and color and have more than one back for the Hasselblad that would the right tool.
    The IQ I think would be very much identical unless there are flaws on one of the lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    more like 120,000 dimes/dozen...

I think the risk would be the same for the amount of coin spent on a 'blad.

I use my rollei all the time, a 50mm on a 'blad would be nice once in awhile.

Like telescopes, the best camera is the the one you'll use [sometimes smaller/easier/compact *is* better]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    A Planar/Xenotar is equal in both. A Rolleiflex is "collectible", and therefor not something you want to risk getting banged around or lost, as in a trip. Hasselblads are a dime a dozen. If you bang it up, ebay is full of more. No clear answer I can see.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can't imagine a 75mm lens better than the one on my Rollei 3.5F Planar. The sharpness is amazing and the way the lens renders is beautiful. The camera handles well - quiet, compact, easy to use - and does what I need. Sure, it has its limits with the fixed lens and all but I don't think its possible to go wrong with the camera if you can work within its boundaries. I haven't used a Hasselblad myself so I can't compare though I know how good they are. I don't think its possible to call one of these cameras 'better' than the other. Both do their job as well as possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9132333378_facbe46d12_b.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	76028

Name:	8376033446_5af189fd1f_b.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	897.8 KB 
ID:	76026

Name:	8256935726_4c537b5a78_b.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	76027

Shooter
    Large Format
    What I like about SOME models of Rolleiflex is that they make great eye-level cameras. When you open the lid and flip in the front to lower the reflex mirror, you simply give a quick peep through the lens to focus on the ground glass, then scoot up to the open framefinder for the picture. A Hasselblad is a "look down into" camera strictly. An eye-level camera is a much better people camera, especially. People do not respond well when they are looking at the bald spot of the photographer's head. People are naturally skittish enough when a camera is pointed at them. But when they see a pleasant and reassuring face behind the camera, they respond well for the snapshot. When they just see a camera with the top of your head behind it, it's much harder to get them to look towards the camera with a photogenic expression.
    In this day and time, Rolleis have a weak point. When you have a Rollei with "cleaning marks" (SCRATCHES!) on the lens, the whole camera is junk, as far as worth is concerned. A Hasselblad, you can simply twist off the ruined lens and find another one. On a Rollei, when the roll of film is finished, you are dead in the water till you can complete the re-filming process. A Hasselblad is quick-change. The Hasselblad is a camera that is best on a tripod, because of it's vibration. A Rollei needs none. And if you are going to have to drag around a tripod and live with such a boat anchor, then you might as well have a LF A Rolleiflex has the edge, all things considered. But it's a mighty close shave.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 10-26-2013 at 12:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera with the tripod. The 80mm lenses are about equal some say the Rollei's were manufactured to higher precision because they didn't need the whole helical focussing mount. In the real world you won't see any differences

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a Rollie keeps it simple. A 500 & an 80 can be simple too but there is something about the Rollei's simplicity, it is what it is and nothing more.

I chose a Blad because I wanted to build a system and that is where the Blad really shines, they are like Legos. I have three bodies, 7 lenses, three finders, two extension tubes and 8 backs, etc...my dream system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    That is quite a photograph indeed!
    I have a book about Victor Hasselblad which has another picture of the two of them photographing each other.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    I can't imagine a 75mm lens better than the one on my Rollei 3.5F Planar. The sharpness is amazing
    I feel the same way about the Xenar lens on my Rolleicord. I'm sure it's the sharpest lens I own.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I think a Rollie keeps it simple. A 500 & an 80 can be simple too but there is something about the Rollei's simplicity, it is what it is and nothing more.

I chose a Blad because I wanted to build a system and that is where the Blad really shines, they are like Legos. I have three bodies, 7 lenses, three finders, two extension tubes and 8 backs, etc...my dream system.
    You've hit the nail on the head it really does depend on whether you want a system camera or are happy with a fixed lens.

I've chosen to use a Rollei but then it's often used alongside a my LF kit. I have a MF system that I used commercially for many years that still gets occasional use.

Ian

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin