Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,534   Online: 1021

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    A Planar/Xenotar is equal in both. A Rolleiflex is "collectible", and therefor not something you want to risk getting banged around or lost, as in a trip. Hasselblads are a dime a dozen. If you bang it up, ebay is full of more. No clear answer I can see.
    Speak for yourself about using Rolleis. I just dragged my pair of 2.8E Planars to Paris and Chalon Sur Saone with me. They're both user grade cameras, not collectible toys, and they're solid workhorses. They are built to be used and meant to be used, and they just WORK.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole;
    This has not been my experience AT ALL. People are threatened more by feeling like something is aimed at them. They are almost universally, again in my experience, charmed and disarmed by my Yashicamat 124 used with the waist level finder (it too has a sports finder you can use at eye level) though in practice I use it more at "neck level" with it held up to my head with my eye against the focus magnifier.
    I absolutely agree. Rolleis are very charming to people and non-threatening. They make it easy to take street photos of people without being obtrusive. The near-silent shutter and no mirror slap lets people think that they're not being photographed.

As to the original question, the optics are a non-issue between the two cameras, with the exception of the 1/2 stop speed loss for the Rollei against the Hasselblad. What tips it in the Rollei's favor, I think, is that to gain that 1/2 stop (which you're really only going to notice when focusing, not when exposing), you're adding a LOT of weight to the Hassy between the lens and the interchangeable film backs.

As to the point about the Hassy being waist-level only, not true - they made prism finders for the Hasselblad so you could shoot eye level, as well as prism finders for Rolleis. You can also get new focusing screens for the Rollei that are just as bright and sharp as the Acute-Matte, but on pre -F models, they're not (easily) user changeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Rolleicord and a Blad. The Cord is not is the same optical league as Flex, but I find the Xenar a very pleasant lens. The Cord is so light and so easy to use compared to the Blad, and they do get different levels of attention. With the Cord I'm just a funny old guy with a funny old camera. With the Blad people presume I'm a pro, or they think its a video camera of some sort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never owned a Rollei(of any derivation), but have used a few. Great, compact system.
    I have owned Hasselblad, and really enjoyed the "system" that it allowed me to have(usually comprising a 50, 80 and 120 or 150). 100% satisfied with Hasselblad technically, but I felt myself cropping it down to a 3x4 ratio quite a bit. So now I'm using the GX680 system(much bulkier, more of a studio-designed camera vs the "field capable" Hasselblad).

If you want a system, I'd go with HB
    If you only want a 75/80mm lens, and nothing else for that camera, then I'd stick with the Rollei

cheers,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Hasselblad and really like its handling and design, will not point again about the focusing screen issue, but rollei may not be any better maybe in that case.

Really difficult situation when you have to decide between 2 great bodies if same format regardless of why you use it for, each body has pros and cons, so what will suit you may not suit others, and this is where people here give opinions or recommendations and then it is open to take it or not.

By the way, the 6x6 format systems or bodies i was going to try beside Hasselblad are: Rollei, Bronica, Mamiya 6 and Fuji GF670, who knows what's next after Hassy, i am completely done with 6x7.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As others said: If you want a system, the Hassy is the way to go (or Bronica or Rollei 6000 / SL66 for that matter). If you want a light, compact, silent and non-intimidating camera, the Rollei wins.
    Regarding absolute picture quality I don´t think there will be much of a difference. You will need a tripod, cable release and fine grained film and need to examine the results with a loupe to see differences in resolution. The only thing that may be different is the bokeh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm seriously thinking of sending the front element of my 3.5E off and having that expensive fellow re-polish and re-coat it, and I'll have my Rollei back after all these years. The front element coating on it is so bad, it's like looking through crumpled cellophane or a shattered windshield or something. With my Rollei back working I can get rid of the entire Hasselblad kit and kaboodle and cleat out even more room in this little house. I don't shoot enough to have more cameras than a camera store, and the house would be a lot more comfortable without having to step around and trip over all this junk.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had John polish and recoat the front element of my 3.5E. I bought if from KEH as an "ugly" camera as the front element had salt spots all over it. It's now almost perfect and the pictures that it takes are mind-blowing.

I own a Rollei and a Hasselblad. I like them both for different reasons. I often wish my Rollei had interchangeable lenses and wasn't so cumbersome to reload in the field. I love the Hasselblad's system approach because it's so versatile. I've passed up many a potential shot because the Rollei was too wide an angle of view for the situation. I've grabbed the Rollei for many a hike because it all fits in a backpack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    I own a Rollei and a Hasselblad. I like them both for different reasons. I often wish my Rollei had interchangeable lenses and wasn't so cumbersome to reload in the field. I love the Hasselblad's system approach because it's so versatile. I've passed up many a potential shot because the Rollei was too wide an angle of view for the situation. I've grabbed the Rollei for many a hike because it all fits in a backpack.
    Wow!

I take the shot and then crop later. The pictures from my Rollei's Tessar are sharp! And the sharpest part is the center. Even the crops are stunning.

I have had the opposite where I wished the Rollei had been wider. That can still be worked with but it is a bit trickier and will require a leveled tripod.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylor_sea View Post
    I had John polish and recoat the front element of my 3.5E. I bought if from KEH as an "ugly" camera as the front element had salt spots all over it. It's now almost perfect and the pictures that it takes are mind-blowing.
    I just bought a 3.5F from KEH in "Ugly" condition for $199.00. It doesn't have the waist level finder and the meter is not working, but the camera looked pretty darn nice from the picture. I'm curious to see what it looks like when I get it. I have a few parts for the body and a meter+cell, but if the lens it bad I might think of a polish job also. What does a front cell polish usually run cost wise? JohnW

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin