Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,581   Posts: 1,622,081   Online: 920

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own four Rollei cameras, plus one on the way, two Blad bodies + lenses, one Blad SWC, two Pentax 67 bodies and eight lenses, one Yashica 124G, and a couple of Konj-Omega Rapids and lenses. I've used them all, but the most used are the Blads and the SWC. The one that gets the most use is a old 500C that was my first real camera. A 500C/500CM is not much different in size to carry around than a Rollei. It's a little noisier, but the image quality is just as good, at least with my equipment. I like Rolleis for the images they render, but the twin lens camera I like the most as a "fun & ease of use" camera is that blasted Yashica 124G. Plus, it too takes very nice pictures. Now, the big question is this - "If I were to choose only one camera" the answer to that would have to be my old trusty Blad 500C. Everything else is really good, but for my type of shooting the Blad is just about perfect. Different strokes for different folks of course. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    A 500C/500CM is not much different in size to carry around than a Rollei. It's a little noisier,
    A little noisier???
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    A Hasselblad has its use, a very important if not historic one. But it has a vibration situation. Notice I did not use the word "problem". A Rollei does not have this. Just the plain facts, ma'am.
    My C is a gorgeous, compact, and impressive piece of equipment anybody with an eye admires. My much cheaper and less coveted ELM has the beef to stand up against that mirror slap, hand-held. Lugging it around is another tale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    A little noisier???
    If you are used to using Pentax 67s a Blad is only a "little" noisier than a Rollei.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    If you are used to using Pentax 67s a Blad is only a "little" noisier than a Rollei.
    Most definitely! Another thing I should have mentioned is that at age 63 I suffer from severe hearing loss/nerve deafness do to a war back in the late 1960's and just plain getting old. With that I seem to think the Blad is not to terrible bad in the noise department. As for the vibration? If I have enough light to hand hold I then "usually" have a high enough shutter speed to help compensate. If light fails and mirror/shutter induced vibration are going to cause a problem it would be tripod time anyway. Of course you always use a tripod and mirror-up if you want all the Blad can give. One off my Blads is a 500ELM with prism and grip that seems to be a little better setup for hand-holding, but likes been said, it is slightly heavier than either the 500c with waist level or a Rollei with even its prism. I know there are diehard Rollei fans just like there are diehard Hasselblad fans. I'm both, but if I had to live with just one outfit it would be the Hasselblad for sure. Oh, and another plus is the fact that one can usually buy a very nice 500ELM with lens, waist level and back for LESS than you can get a good Rollei E series camera and far, far less than one can get a good Rollei F series for. I have both and know which one I want to be buried with for those Heavenly sky shots in the hereafter. We all have our own opinions and that's just mine. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will not see any meaningful difference in picture quality.

The Hasselblad is wonderful to hand hold once you get used to its ergonomy. But the Rolleiflex is even nicer hand held.
    The Rolleiflex is very stealth and quiet. The Hasselblad is not.

On a trip, and if I had both kinds of camera, I'd take the Rolleiflex any day of the week due to its smaller weight and how quiet and elegant it is.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all depends on your style. If you don't mind carrying additional lenses and/or backs, go for the Hassy. If (like me) you can shoot with one lens only (actually two!), go for the Rolleiflex/Rolleicord.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Apparently there is no last word. Or the last word keeps changing depending on who has it. That said there has to be some reason all the famous Rollei guys eventually switched to Hasselblad... Iriving Penn, Richard Avedon, David Bailey, Helmut Newton etc. Of course they were probably all sent Hasselblad kits for free for promotional reasons.

For myself the temporary last word was Rolleiflex after several years using Hasselblad as an employee in a commercial studio. The H camera always annoyed me due to the modular parts and the need to remember things about it that I have now forgotten. I always found the Rolleiflex to be beautiful to look at and I only need the one lens for what I do with it.

That said the last word has temporarily changed for me to Pentax 67 because I have gotten sick to death of square pictures and I can't bring myself to crop to 645.

You have to find your own last word and don't expect it to stay last forever.

Dennis

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very curious as to what this vibration, some people are mentioning, with the Hasselblads. I've never had a problem with them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The vibration is caused by the impact of the mirror slapping into the frame of the body when you release the shutter. It is present in the Hassy, obvious in a Pentax 67, and non-existent in a Rolleiflex (or any other TLR). It is most problematic at the slow end of the hand-holdable shutter speed continuum- between say 1 second and 1/15th, maybe up to 1/30th. Faster than that, there isn't enough time for the vibrations to record. Slower, and they fail to record as well because they don't last long enough. Oddly, the lack of sharpness they cause will be more noticeable when the camera is on a tripod. Hand-held, your hand is more likely to induce softness by its inherent instability than the mirror slap is.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin