Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,220   Online: 845

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's actually amazing that in this digital age, we can fill 6 pages comparing Hasselblads and Rolleis. I love my Rollei (an oldie from the 50's) but I gotta admit, it is getting damn hard to focus on that silky-smooth focusing screen. The Hasselblad is no easier, but I have the option of my 45-degree finder. Wish I had a split-image thing on the focusing screen of the Rollei.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Either way, if one of those flea-infested little pixels comes scurrying out from under a log out in the woods, a good vintage medium format will
    suffice to smash it. Easier than carrying along boxes of DCon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree 100% with you, Drew. The supposed 'problems' with mirror shake is vastly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Hasselblad, Rollei SLR, Pentax 67, etc are incredible machines, and have proven themselves highly successful, regardless of what people here opine.
    They all work beautifully, and I think it's a thing of personal preference which ones we choose as a tool.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harry Fleenor (and possibly others - I don't know how difficult it is) can fit a much brighter screen to a Rollei TLR.

That's one area where my Yashicamat 124 probably beats the German machine it was emulating - the screen is nice and bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Harry Fleenor (and possibly others - I don't know how difficult it is) can fit a much brighter screen to a Rollei TLR.

That's one area where my Yashicamat 124 probably beats the German machine it was emulating - the screen is nice and bright.

Roger,
    We're talking all this fancy German - Swedish stuff and you inject something from Japan? Just kidding! Like I said earlier, if I want a fun, fast, easy, great picture taking machine then I grab my 124G. Plus, if I dropped that or somebody swiped it while I wasn't looking, I could live with it. One of the other "good" cameras has that happen and I might commit Hara-kiri. Whoops, I guess I'd just do that for the Japanese Yashica. Actually the camera is only a "light tight box" it's the lens that's magic. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    I just bought a 3.5F from KEH in "Ugly" condition for $199.00. It doesn't have the waist level finder and the meter is not working, but the camera looked pretty darn nice from the picture. I'm curious to see what it looks like when I get it. I have a few parts for the body and a meter+cell, but if the lens it bad I might think of a polish job also. What does a front cell polish usually run cost wise? JohnW
    I got the 3.5F from KEH today and this lens has to go nowhere. To my surprise it's nearly perfect! Both the taking and viewing lens are in fantastic shape. The meter doesn't work, but the cell is fine. It came with no waist level finder so I'm going to put a prism on to for now and see how it does. Both of those things were mentioned in the description so KEH was honest there. Oh, it looks as good or better than it did in KEH's picture add. I have bought several things from KEH over the years and have never been disappointed. Knock on wood! Best money I have spent on a camera in a long time. Actually the lenses in the condition they are in and shutter are worth what I paid for the whole camera. I have ten rolls of Arista 200 coming from Freestyle tomorrow and then it will be test time. Who knows, maybe I'll bench my Hasselblad for a spell? JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger,
    Actually the camera is only a "light tight box" it's the lens that's magic. JohnW
    I think I have to disagree. The camera is a light tight box for sure, but not just "only". The camera is also "magic" as it is the interface between you and that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Last word: Rolleiflex vs. hassy?

Roger,
    We're talking all this fancy German - Swedish stuff and you inject something from Japan? Just kidding! Like I said earlier, if I want a fun, fast, easy, great picture taking machine then I grab my 124G. Plus, if I dropped that or somebody swiped it while I wasn't looking, I could live with it. One of the other "good" cameras has that happen and I might commit Hara-kiri. Whoops, I guess I'd just do that for the Japanese Yashica. Actually the camera is only a "light tight box" it's the lens that's magic. JohnW
    I love my Yashicamat too. It may have to go for device soon because it now sometimes doesn't stop winding after 12 frames and goes on to 24 even though the pressure plate is properly set for 120/12 (it differs from the G in how this is selected.) I have recently kept going and "shot some (non)photos I really wanted on film that wasn't there. If you keep track it isn't a big problem, just wind and fire 12 phantom frames and you're done.

I really wanted a Rolleicord that was on here but talked myself out of spending the money because I had the Yadhica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I think I have to disagree. The camera is a light tight box for sure, but not just "only". The camera is also "magic" as it is the interface between you and that lens.
    I think we are both on the right track. I know I could take the lens from a Rollei or off my Hasselblad and put it on a homemade light-tight box, take a photo with it then the same shot on camera and you would be able to see a difference. Now, take the same camera and same light tight box and swap out the lens for a coke bottle. Of course I have never shoot through a coke bottle so I really should make a comment like that I guess. You are right in that it's much easier to head into the forest with a Rollei for shooting then it is to take that light-tight box with a lens on it. So, I guess we're splitting hair between lens quality of a Hasselblad, Rollei, Pentax, Bronica, Mamiya, Yashica or whatever. What it boils down to is which one feels good in hand and suits you the best, feature wise and handling. I have been using my Hasselblad and Rollei much more then my Pentax 67 outfit lately, but I can sure do a whole lot more with the Pentax than I can with either of the other two when I have two. Just me of course! JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I really wanted a Rolleicord that was on here but talked myself out of spending the money because I had the Yadhica.
    I've endured 17 years of marriage to someone who is NOT an engineer and finally got out of that mindset. My wife's attitude is, "if you have the money then spend it if that is what you want." How many more years do you need to overcome being an engineer, Roger?

p.s. I use the word "endure" in the most endearing of ways. The challenge has been with me, not her. (There... getting to year 18 will now be a bit easier.)
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 11-01-2013 at 10:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: postscript

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin