Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 783

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I (don't) see...
    The mirror on a 'blad would score pretty highly on the Richter scale...
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    The mirror on a 'blad would score pretty highly on the Richter scale...
    Try a Bronica S2A or a Pentax 67 sometime. I don't think the scale would go high enough for the S2A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the title of this thread should be changed as it does not appear that there is a "last word." I think perhaps "Ongoing Words: Rolleiflex vs Hassey" would be a bit more accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd guess that in reality the last word is which of the two makes a poster in the thread is actually still using. I my case I never had any interest in Hasselblads but have used 4 Rolleiflexes (or Rolleicords) and have an MPP Microcord which is a UK better engineered version ot the Rolleicord III with a higher quality (compared to the Tessar) Xpres lens.

So I happened to go down the Rollei TLR route 6 or 7 years ago, it's about knowing your cameras capabilities and getting the most from them, I have no doubt I could get excellent results from a Hasselblad. I happened to use a Bronica S2a firts in the 1970's and the system was superb but I went for a Mamiya 645 system in preference, it was just what suited me best and at the time I didn't like or rather utlise the square format even when I had mamiya C3 & C33 cameras so 645 made much more sense.

These days after buying a Yashicamat 124 and reviving a mint dried our Rolleiflex 3.5 E I find the square format is wonderful and I always work to it, it's by instinct though I vcan work to many formats and never crop.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bought a YashicaMat first and then moved to Rolleiflex. Have two now, one is an MXV Automat circa 1954 and the other is a Tele-Rolleiflex from around 1960. Still have all three along with several Ikoflexes. Enjoy them all immensely though I am nowhere near mastering any of them. I cannot seem to live without the view in that glass.

In the meantime I have owned a Mamiya 645. It never worked quite right, I think it was about used up by the time I got it. Sold that, bought a Hassy 501CM. The pix were fine but I sold that and bought a Pentax 645Nii. Most of my best shots have come with the Pentax but I am addicted to the Rolleis so I keep using them.

I keep telling myself I could live only with a Rollei and a 645Nii, and maybe one day I will.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rolleiflex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As cheap as film cameras have become, why not one of each?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    As cheap as film cameras have become, why not one of each?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Now you're talking! Get a Yashicamat (12, 124, 124G), Roleiflex, Blad, Mamiya............................................ .................................................. ..or whatever else tickles your fancy. That way you can decide just exactly what fit your style and type of photography. That's what I did, but watch out for the trap! The trap is you'll want to keep them all and it's not good for the pocket book or sometimes the marriage. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never gone in for Hasselblads because of the price of the lenses, but I do think in general it makes sense to have "one of each" between TLRs and some kind of MF system cameras. The benefits of each have been decently covered in this thread, and they're quite complementary.

See? *That's* how you do a "last" word. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't believe that so many posts CAN be made about something like this.
    They are not exactly the same, are they? There's a reason they took Haaselblad cameras to space, used them for scientific photography, and that they were so popular in studios. They are good at applications like that. Extremely competent cameras.

Rolleiflex TLRs are of a different kind. They are smooth, light, beautiful devices that work so well for art photography, more casual and relaxed, every day use, away from the tripod.

They are completely different animals. Both very competent, but apples and oranges, and it comes down to shooting technique which suits the user best. Both cameras are capable of extremely high print quality. Mirror vibration has not been an issue in my years with Hasselblad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin