Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,193   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with Drew and Ed. You can pick up a real nice Cambo or Calumet lightweight 4x5 monorail for $200.00 or less. If you don't mind if the camera is old I have seen monorails go for as low as $50.00 on Ebay.

Many times you can get a great deal on a 4x5 monorail with a 210mm lens, film holders, etc. included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good idea, maybe i should look at a monorail or view camera instead then, was thinking to use MF roll films over sheets, but i also can find that roll film back for LF too, just was curious about that tilt/shift adapter.

I will test a digital back i bought for my LF, the problem i had one before but only accept small size bodies due to one ugly knob on that holder preventing to mount bigger size DSLRs, but another problem is that with 2 lenses i tested [150mm & 72], both turned to be a very macro lens and only focus very few centimeters distance closer [about 3-6cms from the subject].

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Achieving precise focus with tiny capture surfaces and typical camera movements is pretty tricky, and often needs very precise gearing or a
    helicoid lens mount. It's even harder with a roll film back than with full-sized sheet film. Part of the issue is mechanical, the other part just
    visual. And having lenses very close to the film plane can be pretty tricky too. So just any clunker of a cheap view camera probably won't be very satisfactory. You need something rather well machined which will accept a bag bellows - unless you are working with very long focal length lenses. The best telephotographer I know actually uses a heavy 8x10 metal Toyo G view camera with a 35mm digital or film cameras, and Apo Nikor process lenses up to 600mm (not 35mm lenses), on a big wooden tripod. The system is heavy but very rigid, and has to be. Not every roll film back is well made either. I personally use Horseman 6x9 backs when I do this kind of thing, and the presence of movements
    allows me to obtain better focus than any dedicated medium format lens system. But except when I need the portability of roll film, I'd much
    rather be using full-sized 4x5 sheet film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Giving up then?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A chinchilla might have a fluffy mane, but it's still not a lion. If you want a lion, buy a lion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you all for the replies, all we know that the fast road is to get a view camera, that's the most simple and natural way.... of course, (i'm building one right now) ... but it is not the topic issue, I was just wondering if there is a way to get it in MF camera and specially in the mamiya's world. I saw this brand that produces some adapter but only for mamiya 645, and then i found this, maybe it can works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    A chinchilla might have a fluffy mane, but it's still not a lion. If you want a lion, buy a lion.
    If you buy a piano, you own a piano. If you buy a camera, you are a photographer.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy a 2x3 View camera with a Universal back, take the front plate off a busted up rb67 and mount it on the front standard, fix up a cocking mechanism for the in lens shutter and go to town. All the great Mamiya optics with full movements. Be aware there are several thousandths film difference between a Mamiya back and a Singer/Graphics back. Might want to modify your GG on the View Camera.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish....

the whole solution came out of one client that was insistent on me providing 6x7 trannies to be stripped into existing artwork, and having a drawerful of RB bodies and parts, as well as having a few Toyo's worth of parts lying about. When I finally convinced that client to go to digital, my 4x5 scan back got quite a bit of use. Several years later, new AD, new vision and MF and "small" sensor capture are now used.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I had one but I had to get rid of it. The damn thing ate the neighbor's dog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin