Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 872

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another vote for the Mamiya 645. I am a Mamiya fan, have the RZ67 and will be adding a 645pro to the stable in the next few months. IMO Mamiya seems to have very well thought out systems and the lenses are fabulous and pretty inexpensive. I don't think you could go wrong with the three 645 systems mentioned. I have no experience with the Bronica 6x4.5 system but they have a good reputation as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    A simple box camera (homemade even) with a lens would be fine too!
    That's what I did when I acquired a 65mm Super Angulon lens (althouh it's slightly more than just a box).

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    slightly more than just a box
    Indeed! Congratulations!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of very affordable options, but I would agree with others and suggest the Mamiya 645. I recently sold my Pro TL and it was a great little system. There are tons of lens options and they are very affordable. I really liked the 35mm! Also this system has the fastest MF lens of any, the 80/1.9 and a great macro system with the spacer that gets you to 1:1. Also the Pro and Pro TL have a pretty modern ergonomic feel and function to them, with built in and very reliable meters, aperture priority mode, and the motor-drive. In my experience, at least here in Japan, the Mamiya 645 system is cheaper than Bronica, Pentax or Contax and more widely available than all but the Pentax.

The others are good options too, so my comments are only a recommendation.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Pentax 67 with a 105/2.4 and 45/4 would be excellent. Does 120/220, WLF (can even DIY to save money on that) or prism, and they are cheap if you can be patient.

6x7 is a sweet negative size.
    I will second that, sounds exactly what you will want. Also 45mm lens on 6x7 is much wider than on 6x4.5.
    The 45mm lens has the same diagonal field of view as 22mm lens on 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go with any of the recommendations above but stay away from the Pentacon 6 models they almost always have serious issues with the film wind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zenza Bronica made 40mm wide angle lenses for both their 6X4.5 ETR series and their 6X6 SQ series. Using 645, 40mm is equivalent to 24mm; using 6X6, it is equivalent to a 22mm.
    I have both the MC and PE versions of the Zenzanon 40mm lens for the ETR series. Both perform very well, and are not expensive, especially the older MC version. ETR series bodies are likewise very inexpensive. I bought an ETRSi several years ago just to see if I liked medium format while not spending much, and have found the Bronicas and their lenses much to my liking. Simple and capable, and these days, not expensive. The other wide angles were 50mm (very inexpensive now), and the 60mm. And a fisheye, 35mm I think. The 75mm E-II or PE normal lens is also very inexpensive.

The one option wider than the 40mm is the Pentax 645 with 35mm lens-- equivalent to 21mm. A considerably more expensive setup, but with the older non autofocus lens, still not too bad. There is also a Pentax 33-55 zoom, which would give about a 20mm equivalent. They're kind of hard to find, and not cheap when you do, but FYI.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-02-2013 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to be able to put a multi lens MF system together and just take that for foot travel.
    As a user of a multi-lens 6x7 system (RZ67) I suggest that for foot travel you would be better off with a 6x4.5 system, especially if you are looking to take the tripod too. I find the bigger system burdensome, though I concede that I am 69 and not all that big.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great info and insights, thanks. I do appreciate the help.

I am leaning towards the Bronica for a couple of reasons. The flash sync speeds and price. Looking at an Sq/SQ-A series as well, as they are not that much larger and 645 backs are available for nice versatility. Not having to buy or use a prism sounds good as well in square format. Unfortunately, the lenses are a bit pricier in 6x6.

As far as 220 film limited availability, I have no issues with expired film. I just bought 35+ rolls for less than $4 a roll. All my expired film has worked great so far.

Are the 645 lenses the same as the
    Last edited by trythis; 11-02-2013 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another unmentioned option is a Kiev 88. If you think about going down that road, get one that has been overhauled by Hartblei, or one of the ARAX rebuilds. Then you'll have a reliable, functional camera, and a selection of lenses ranging from 30mm fisheye to 500mm telephoto. The real reason to buy this system is the lenses - the camera bodies may have been of questionable build integrity but the optics are every bit as good as their German cousins, at a fraction of the price.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin