Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,902   Online: 971

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a Pentax 645 with a 35mm & a 75mm. The 35 is about equivalent to 21mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will add my two cents since I was in your boat around 5 years ago.

Mamiya 645 Pro......the TL is nicer for more modern options such as finding used Metz 45 or 60 flash you can use TTL with, but my Pro with even first gen CT60-1 flash gets great flash photos. I looked at every other option like you did but went with Mamiya mainly due to slightly better build factor and there is always a Mamiya 645 something or other available somewhere.

I believe you can still get the Pro TL serviced by Mamiya still today, with all the others, you may be able to get service, but parts will be limited. That said, I don't know how hard by Pro was used, but I still have no need nor concern about a CLA or any other service issue with mine.

One more thing......I have not been actively looking for some time, but when I did there always seemed to be at least one accessory or another available for the Mamiya 645 system. There is a huge chart somewhere that displayed all the extras they made for that system at mamiya's website or in the 645 manual somewhere......I found virtually every one of those "extras" for sale for my 645 years back.....like 4 years back. After you get the regular 3 lens setup you will get the fever and start wanting those little extras for your setup.....another reason I voted for Mamiya vs. the other guys.........and the other guy's cameras are all noteworthy performers too.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting discussion. There's medium format and there's medium format. In his book Field Photography A. A. Blaker makes the point that moving up in format isn't worth the trouble unless, if I recall correctly, both dimensions of the frame are at least doubled. If you buy that, well, twice 24 x 36 is 48 x 72, which is lower and no longer than 6x7. And if you buy that 645 and 6x6 are too small. 6x7 is the first step up from 24 x 36.

Short lenses for 6x7 and 6x9 can be very costly. I shoot 2x3 (6x9 in metric) with Graphics and a 2x3 Cambo. My shortest lenses are a 35/4.5 Apo-Grandagon, a 47/5.6 Super Angulon and a 58 and and a couple of 60s of which I prefer the 60/14 Perigraphe. 24 x 36 equivalents are 15 mm, 20 mm, and 25 mm. Go price 'em. A 65 on 2x3's 35 mm equivalent is 28 mm, an 80's is 34 mm.

If I were constrained to 6x7 and wanted to give up tinkering I suppose I'd go Mamiya 7 or, maybe, Pentax 67. Back when I passed on the Pentax because of its low flash sync speed.

OP, since you're open to press cameras you might want to read this: http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf As you'll read, I use Graphics. My first 2x3 camera was a Busch Pressman. Attractive, but for a variety of reasons including size of the front standard and availability of lens boards I much prefer Graphics. A 2x3 Speed Graphic can't use short lenses as you're interested in, its minimum extension is around 62 mm. If you go Graphic (think hard, I like 'em but they're not for everyone) you'll want a Century Graphic or a 2x3 Crown Graphic with a Graflok back. Learn more about Graphics on www.graflex.org

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One comment about focal length comparisons with 35mm. Equivalency is typically measured on the diagonal. In theory, I suppose that's quite correct. But most of the time, when using wide angle lenses, my shots are horizontal. So the operative measurement might be the horizontal field of view.

Horizontal vs. diagonal is a non-issue with 6x9 and almost a non-issue with 6x4.5. But could be a factor is 6x6 and 6x7 comparisons.

Of course it all depends on your choice of subject and technique.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ckpj99 View Post
    I think you should decide on a format. 6x4.5 and 6x6/7 are much different beasts.
    I agree. This should be step one.

After this is decided then ask about particular camera systems within the format of your choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For cheap and cheerful in an SLR, consider the Bronica ETRSi or SQ-A(i). Both have mirror lockup, which is important for many. I have an ETRSi, but if you want a small portable kit, don't rule out the SQ-A, because then you can get by with just a waist level finder and a lighter tripod, as you wont have to tilt the camera on its side. Both sync at up to 1/500 if you like fill flash. I like that the shutters are electrically timed, as that means they stay accurate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with that and have stopped using my Pentacon 6, but the Arax 60 version of the Kiev 60 that I bought to replace it has been quite reliable and lets you use the same P-6 mount Zeiss Jena lenses. Some of the Ukrainian lenses aren't bad either. I would NOT recommend an un-modified Kiev 60, or the far more complex Kiev 88 (even in its Arax iteration).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    I like your suggestions. A little research shows the Mamiya and competitor Bronica look like good contenders. I like using fill flash so I might glance at the etrs (?) for a bit. I spent all my time researching 6x6 and larger cameras because that is what I found in flea markets. Some KEH models of the Bronicas are in my price range so far!
    You will probably be very happy with either Bronica or Mamiya. I think the build quality of the Mamiya is a touch better than the Bronica, especially the backs. I've made plenty of great photos with both brands.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the RB 67? Get it from KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Are you hoping to buy new or second hand. I know you say you can't afford a Hasselblad, but old ones can be picked up quite cheap and because they are a systems camera, it should do everything you want from a 6 X 6.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin