Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,342   Online: 1035

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    ...clip.... Half-frame looks pretty punk next to full frame.

To be fair, a 2x3 tranny looks pretty punk next to a 4x5 one.
    Translation required:

Half frame as in what? I am used to "full frame" meaning 35mm in the digital slr world, and "punk" means good or bad?

He was deflated becasue 2x3 looked better than 645?

Then why would 2x3 look "punk" next to 4x5 which is bigger?....confused.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The one option wider than the 40mm is the Pentax 645 with 35mm lens-- equivalent to 21mm.
    Oops!I forgot that the Mamiya 645 has a 35mm, too.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Oops!I forgot that the Mamiya 645 has a 35mm, too.
    Mamiya 645AF also has a 28mm, if you're willing to fork over $5500, and Pentax 45 also has a 25mm for a slightly more reasonable $5k.

But yeah, 35mm on P645 or M645 and 45mm on P67 are the widest you're getting on any normal sort of budget (unless of course you want to shoot a 30mm Kiev Fisheye, scan, and de-fish in software, but even I'm not crazy enough to bother with that...)

Meanwhile, OP clarified a few posts ago as to wanting 50mm or wider in 135-equiv terms. In that case I'd highly recommend as a normal lens, a Zeiss MC Biometar 80/2.8 (less than $100, $50 if you're lucky) in P6-mount, then an adapter to your 645-of-choice (if not just use it on a P6).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is a definite difference between 35mm and 645. Shooting 6x6 is nice if you like square. If you plan on cropping 6x6 to 645 (square to rectangle) then you are probably better off shooting 645. Some wedding photographers preferred 6x6 because they didn't have to worry about turning the camera on it's side for portrait orientation. Also they could later crop the image in either direction. If you like rectangles and you want the best image quality then buy a 6x7. The downside is that 6x7 is bulky and heavy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi trythis,
    I see you have a small machine shop.
    You might like to refer to my thread in "Camera Building" section for the metal body I made for medium format 6 x 7 and 120 film.
    In my case I used a Pentax 6x7 90mm leaf shutter. Such lenses have a fixed register with inbuilt focus helicoid and allow for a simple body, although it has to be accurate to standards you should be able to get with vernier calipers and a guage table etc.

I really like my camera and enjoy using it and (even) I can take sharp photos with it.

I am getting set to build my second version, which will have a home built electronic shutter.

I am sure others on this thread can suggest other good fixed register wider lenses with leaf shutters that might suit you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    Translation required:

Half frame as in what? I am used to "full frame" meaning 35mm in the digital slr world, and "punk" means good or bad?

He was deflated becasue 2x3 looked better than 645?

Then why would 2x3 look "punk" next to 4x5 which is bigger?....confused.
    For starters I believe that in this instance "punk" is good.

Next, 6x4.5 is considered half of a 6x9 frame, thus "half frame."

2x3 is actually 2"x3" sheet film, which is also equivalent to 6cm x 9cm, more or less. So 6x4.5 negatives do not look as "good" as 2x3 (6x9) negatives, though I don't think that the difference is really that obvious until your prints get very big.

Yes, the last statement is confusing since the meaning of "punk" seems to have reversed. Slang can be such a flexible language.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have noted, there is an enormous increase in the quality of image from 35mm to medium format, but as you have found with Hasselblad, as desirable it is to add this jewellery to your kit, it can still command a prohibitive price. But concentrate on the WOW! factor of the larger image over 35mm: e.g. a 6x7 neg or transparency is a full 400% bigger than 35mm and has a stunning effect illuminated on the lightbox.

I wasn't all that rapped by looking at 645 images. It was after a friend here on APUG showed me a 6x7 that I got GAS in a very, very bad way...

And yes, well, I'm thoroughly biased but have a look at a Pentax 67 (modern-era version, not the very old and potentially unreliable 6x7 version) and a 45mm ultra-wide lens. The system is not as costly as one might imagine, but cost can reflect condition: mint specimens can command up to $800 for a body + TTL down to $250 for a well-used (and bruised) body with TTL prism — less with nothing on top. The system offers any of TTL prism, chimney or WLFs on the second hand market (again, condition varies from mint to mangled). Lots and lots of very high quality, renowned lenses for when you feel like experimenting with others e.g. adding a 90mm (standard) lens to a 45 (ultrawide in MF) or 55mm — this would set you up for 90% of photography. I don't think a P67, or most MF outfits, are fancy but they are still highly sought after by those with the drive to extract the very best imaging quality out of them. MF is very especially the way to go if you want to print BIG, and I mean really big (up to about a metre or more).
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-03-2013 at 01:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Had a look at the P67. Perfect for my desires, but I am not free to spend the money required regardless of how bad my GAS gets. Something to look for in a lucky deal.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x4.5 or 6x6 slides look wonderful when projected.

6x7 slides probably do too, but where a 6x6 projector can be found relatively easily/cheaply ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    In my case I used a Pentax 6x7 90mm leaf shutter. Such lenses have a fixed register with inbuilt focus helicoid
    Apologies for temporarily sending this thread of track but if you use this lens on a home made body, how do you cock and fire the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    I am sure others on this thread can suggest other good fixed register wider lenses with leaf shutters that might suit you.
    If you want to go down the DIY route and only want 6x6 or 6x9, the body of a folding camera mated to your lens of choice is a simple way of achieving this. When I was designing my 6x12 camera, I put the 65mm SA lens and its focusing mount onto a 6x6 body to check that I had the lens to film distance correct. It would have been a nice wide angle square format camera if I had left it like that but I had other plans for the lens.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 11-03-2013 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin