Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,118   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thread for List of Suggested Cameras? (MF/otherwise)

Wonder if it's a good idea to make a list of suggested or a Poll of suggested cameras/systems from APUG members. Considering that there seem to be enough people wanting to move into film/up to MF or large format etc.,? Sure each new thread allows to add in a post or two, but seems to me like it will save more forum space if camera reccos were captured in a more tabular manner or so? Or even a pie chart.

Probably a more "central" reservoir of the wealth of APUG knowledge at least on suggested cameras for suggested uses.

/Should this go under site suggestions?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are so many types of cameras, and so many different interests. I mostly like cameras made between 1920 and 1950. Cameras from 1970-1990 are far more popular, but I have no interest in those at all. My favorite to use are the Leica IIIc, Rolleiflex, and the Voigtlander Bessa. These aren't as convenient to use as newer ones. I also love to shoot 4x5 but here again I rarely use modern lenses and prefer those from 1840s-1850s, or early 1900s. I only shoot b&w. There's a very wide range of interest and possibilities. Any "list" would have to get pretty specific.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really, Kent. It could even be a list of lists, or something that an Excel file could cook up.
    something with options that could go like:

"Oh, long hike? less-heavy Medium Format shooter? Limited lens combos?... here you go, get X camera by 8 APUG users and get Y camera by 6 APUG users."

A few such shortlists and soon, most new system/camera seekers would have a ready reckoner.

Shooter
    35mm
    Too many parameters. And to some large degree subjective. With the same requirements, each individual will make different choices, based on cost, weight, optical quality (real or carried by the internet rumor), need for flexibility, real or perceived need for film area to reach "adequate" quality, etc, etc. You can get useful information by reading in threads not which camera is "best" for a given purpose, but why this or that user prefers this or that system, and filtering through your own needs and preferences. A little like movie critics: there is not a single one whose advice you agree 100% of the time. And a movie seat costs less than a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Show me the table (or the pie) variables and I'll contribute my 2-cents worth.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To have a good, old or classic camera does not make you a good photographer. Some guys go to trip to europe with several thousands dollars worth of m7 and shoot on expired fuji film. There are people gives 400 dollars or more to a 8X10 pinhole camera. I learned that there is only 10 or less good photographer in APUG to be considered serious. If you want lists of lists , we have gallery and with searching a film , camera , paper , you find whom used what.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    To have a good, old or classic camera does not make you a good photographer. Some guys go to trip to europe with several thousands dollars worth of m7 and shoot on expired fuji film. There are people gives 400 dollars or more to a 8X10 pinhole camera. I learned that there is only 10 or less good photographer in APUG to be considered serious. If you want lists of lists , we have gallery and with searching a film , camera , paper , you find whom used what.
    Maybe the 10,or less, good photographers can give the O.P. their opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Wonder if it's a good idea to make a list of suggested or a Poll of suggested cameras/systems from APUG members. Considering that there seem to be enough people wanting to move into film/up to MF or large format etc.,? Sure each new thread allows to add in a post or two, but seems to me like it will save more forum space if camera reccos were captured in a more tabular manner or so? Or even a pie chart.

Probably a more "central" reservoir of the wealth of APUG knowledge at least on suggested cameras for suggested uses.

/Should this go under site suggestions?
    What do you prefer? reading posts or staring at a pie chart?
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I learned that there is only 10 or less good photographer in APUG to be considered serious.
    ... and they are?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    ... and they are?
    I'm curious, too. I can think of far more than ten, without even peeking in the Gallery. Minnesota, alone, has a handful...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin