Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,648   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Holga

I bought my first Rolleiflex yesterday.

Hi everybody!

I recently moved to Northern California for college, and I put a "wanted: camera equipment" ad on my local Craigslist. So Saturday morning, I have an email stating that someone has a camera for sale, with no pictures. I reply back and receive a really bad cell phone picture of a Rolleiflex with the lens cap on, so I have no idea what lens it has. I express interest, and she tells me she's looking to get $475 for it. I don't reply, and a few hours later she emails back saying to just make any kind of offer I want. By this point I'm curious enough to drive the half hour to meet her. I also discovered that she posted in on Craigslist for $375 that evening. The next day I leave with exactly $200 in my pocket hoping for a best case-scenario of leaving with a beater Planar or Xenotar camera, and worst-case I drove an hour for a beater lower-end camera. We meet at a McDonalds in a truck stop town, and she hands me a Rolleiflex. After I figure out how to remove the lens cap, I discover that it has the Xenotar 2.8, but no built in light meter. The camera itself is in awesome cosmetic condition, but there is a bit of haze and what appear to be small fungus marks in the lenses and the lowest shutter speeds seem off. I show her these flaws and tell her that I'll probably have to spend around $150-200 to get the camera repaired, and ask if she would accept $200 for it. Lo and behold, she accepts, and I am the proud owner of a Rolleiflex 2.8C with the Xenotar lens. I can't wait until I've had it repaired and it's good to go. I put a roll of Tri-X in just to see what the results are as-is, and I hope to develop it this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollei.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I bought my first Rolleiflex yesterday.

Awesome! Good luck and have fun. I remember my first I got around 1999. A beat up Planar 2.8E in a Beijing alley of all places. Paid about $150 USD. Lens with little to no coating left and some minor fine scratches. Makes me wish it could talk. How did it get to an old alley in Beijing? Since then I've gotten more "perfect" other Rolleiflexes yet this original beat up one remains my favorite. Something about it's slightly more moderate contrast yet still tack sharp character as a result of it's "flaws" has it drawing a beautiful signature.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 11-04-2013 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, get it CLA'd and put it to good use, it might have been her father's.
    My rollei is my desert-island camera, a companion in wanderings, a relied-upon
    tool and friend to help me see the world.
    -Tim

ps: and, of course, share some images
    Last edited by dasBlute; 11-04-2013 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations and happy Rolleiing!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send it for cleaning esp., the lens. Please.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

I've owned the same model Rollei you just bought
    for 30 years. I use it fairly regularly. I suspect the slower shutter speeds are a bit slow, and the shutter release is a bit slow closing the shutter on "B." It's time for a clean,lube, adjust. I will never sell this camera.

Finding accessories is a bit of a hunt, but it's fun. You'll begin to recognize the brown leather cases for the filters, lens hood, closeup lenses and other accessories when they pop up on used camera sites or in old camera stores. Expect to pay good money for them, they're worth it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A word of caution when using your 2.8C: when engaging the highest shutter speed (1/500th), be aware that you should not change it from or to 1/500th while the shutter is cocked. There was a separate "accelerator" spring in the shutter for that one to enable that fast of a speed, and if you change speeds while cocked, you can break the spring and jam the shutter. Go to http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/...eiflex_28c.htm and download the owners manual to get a better understanding of how the camera works. The C has one great feature in its favor: the multi-bladed iris that gives a much more round aperture, which many people feel gives a more pleasing bokeh (out-of-focus rendering). The way you change apertures/shutter speeds is a quirk that takes some getting used to (I have big fingers so I found it hard to squeeze the locking lever(s) and turn the wheel(s), but your mileage may vary. Congrats on getting a great camera, though - you'll love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 2.8C for US$200?? That's a steal in pretty much any condition. Certainly it deserves a CLA---you may get pretty good results from that trial roll, but with a lens that good it would be a shame not to get it worked over to its full potential. And you certainly have plenty of headroom left between the price you paid and the price you might have expected to pay!

The dials do take some getting used to. I'm always turning them the wrong way.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Congrats! That's a nice looking camera. The 2.8C is much loved by photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations! That is one of my dream cameras. That said, I dearly love my rolliecord iv. It is a tough little beauty in great condition. I bought it for $39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin