Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,402   Online: 937

Shooter
    Medium Format

Quick question about Graflex XL, with 58mm Grandagon.

Just got one of these cameras, looks great, but unlike my other cameras with large format style shutters, I cannot seem to find a switch on the shutter to open it up for ground glass viewing.

On my Fotoman 45SPS, I can flick a switch and the shutter blades open up, allowing me to compose on the ground glass. I can't see this on the Graflex, so only option is to use the Bulb setting to hold the shutter open for ground glass viewing. If that's just how it is, fine, but I wonder am I missing something?

Cheers

Garry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you are missing anything. It's been a while since I've worked with those, but as I recall, those shutters didn't have the switch, probably because they are mostly intended to be used with the rangefinder.

Does the shutter have T? If so, that will probably be easier to work with than B for GG focusing. Otherwise a locking cable release may be your friend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That lens is in Compur #00. Most #00s have no T setting and none has a blade arrestor ("press focus").

The 58/5.6 Grandagon's #00 has no T setting. You're not missing anything, your best option is to use B and a locking cable release.

The 58/5.6 Grandagon's #00 has no cable release socket; not a problem when it is used on an XL 'cos the XL barrel for it has a cable release socket. But this makes the lens in the original shutter pretty unusable on other cameras. I had mine reshuttered in a #00 with cable release socket, use it on 2x3 Graphics and Cambo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right got it, looked it up on butkus.org, and see that the 80mm lens came with a blade arrestor (good to learn what it's actually called!), but the 58mm did not. No big deal, it's got Bulb, but no T, so I can just use Bulb if I use the ground glass, which I think will not be that often anyway.

Cheers

Garry

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin