Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,547   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya RB67 Questions

I just bought 2 RB67's from the big auction site. One has a 90mm lens and the other a 180mm lens. I did notice that the camera with the 90mm lens takes a little more effort to cock the shutter than the one that has the 180mm. This may be normal, I'm not sure. Shutter speeds sound OK. The body cocks OK with the lens off and the lens cocks ok when it is off the body. Only seems to bind some when they are together. I'm planning on doing a CLA on them but i haven't worked on these before. Is there a service manual available for these that I can download? Is there anything else I should look at while i'm servicing these two while I'm waiting for the light seals to arrive? Everything on these 2 cameras seems to work but they have been sitting for awhile so I'd rather service them now before loading them and trying to take a few test frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a pdf "Parts Catalog for Mamiya RB67 Pro S, Camera Body, Roll Film Holder", dated April 1975 which I could send you if it would be of any help. It has exploded views and a parts list. It is 55 pages. It's not a service manual, just a parts catalog.
    Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

If you've never used the RB67 before, you're in for a real treat - a superbly versatile and fun-to-use camera!
    I was wondering if the force required to cock the shutter is the same when you swop the lenses? This might indicate the one of the lenses has much more "spring tension". Other than that, I guess it could be many things... lubricant that has dried / become too viscose, etc.

This is a really simple, extremely robust and long-living camera that is difficult to jam up (compared to other waist-level medium format SLRs) - so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's too difficult to use comfortably.

Much more important are light leaks in the film back(s), which they are unfortunately prone to.
    If you can find a 37mm Fisheye, you'll have more fun that what you dreamt is possible with a medium format camera :-)

Dawid

Quote Originally Posted by micwag2 View Post
    I just bought 2 RB67's from the big auction site. One has a 90mm lens and the other a 180mm lens. I did notice that the camera with the 90mm lens takes a little more effort to cock the shutter than the one that has the 180mm. This may be normal, I'm not sure. Shutter speeds sound OK. The body cocks OK with the lens off and the lens cocks ok when it is off the body. Only seems to bind some when they are together. I'm planning on doing a CLA on them but i haven't worked on these before. Is there a service manual available for these that I can download? Is there anything else I should look at while i'm servicing these two while I'm waiting for the light seals to arrive? Everything on these 2 cameras seems to work but they have been sitting for awhile so I'd rather service them now before loading them and trying to take a few test frames.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Hi,

If you've never used the RB67 before, you're in for a real treat - a superbly versatile and fun-to-use camera!
    I was wondering if the force required to cock the shutter is the same when you swop the lenses? This might indicate the one of the lenses has much more "spring tension". Other than that, I guess it could be many things... lubricant that has dried / become too viscose, etc.

This is a really simple, extremely robust and long-living camera that is difficult to jam up (compared to other waist-level medium format SLRs) - so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's too difficult to use comfortably.

Much more important are light leaks in the film back(s), which they are unfortunately prone to.
    If you can find a 37mm Fisheye, you'll have more fun that what you dreamt is possible with a medium format camera :-)

Dawid
    Yeah I was thinking I should have swapped the lenses to see if the stiffness followed the lens. I'll have to try that tonight. A fisheye lens would be great, but I wonder how much that'll set me back. Already have light seals on the way. Figured I'd get them first. I wanna load these and go use them!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Also have another question. One of the bodies has an adapter in the tripod socket so the grip can attach and the camera can go onto a standard 1/4 20 tripod screw. The other does not, I'm not sure of the size because i haven't measured it yet. My question then is: Where can i get another adapter? And, is it a good idea to put such a heavy camera on a tripod with only a 1/4 20 screw? Last thing i want is for one of these behemoths fall on my foot because the tripod failed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have sent you the parts manual via email per your request
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    I have sent you the parts manual via email per your request
    Jeff
    Thank you!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is an owners manual floating around the web somewhere...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    There is an owners manual floating around the web somewhere...
    I downloaded the owners manual from Butkus website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by micwag2 View Post
    Also have another question. One of the bodies has an adapter in the tripod socket so the grip can attach and the camera can go onto a standard 1/4 20 tripod screw. The other does not, I'm not sure of the size because i haven't measured it yet. My question then is: Where can i get another adapter? And, is it a good idea to put such a heavy camera on a tripod with only a 1/4 20 screw? Last thing i want is for one of these behemoths fall on my foot because the tripod failed!
    Without the adapter, the thread is the fairly standard 3/8" tripod thread. With the adapter, the thread is the also fairly standard 1/4" tripod thread.

You can buy tripod heads and quick release plates that use a 3/8" tripod bolt instead of the 1/4" bolt.

I have a bunch of extra 3/8" to 1/4" adapters, because I have a bunch of cameras that use them, and every few years one loosens and falls out.

Any good tripod seller should have them - here is an Amazon source: http://www.amazon.com/Promaster-Trip.../dp/B002MXO47I
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin