Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,188   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What do I do with a Kodak Monitor?

I just learned my brother is sending me our father's Kodak Monitor, apparently pristine and complete with box, instructions and sales receipt. A quick google implies 'Where do I even get film for this?' Well, can I even get film for this?

thanks,
    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are companies/people who re-spool 120 film onto 620 spools. You can do it yourself.

120 film's common in fact sales are rising.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came across a Monitor a while ago and have come to like it quite a bit. Re-spooling 120 onto 620 reels is easy and quick. Google it here or on the wider web. I found a Kodak range-finder that I use in the cold shoe of the camera to help in focusing. The whole rig is a tad ungainly, but there is a characteristic look to the images taken with tessar design lenses from that era, and I like it. The special anastigmat lens became the Ektar. The camera is fun, and very well built. Go shoot some film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    The camera is fun, and very well built. Go shoot some film!
    And I will too!

thanks,
    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can buy the 620 film new
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...69&srtclk=sort

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post

Which is re-spooled 120 at a much higher price.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes you are right it is a lot cheeper to buy 120 and re-spool @ http://www.freestylephoto.biz/190220...0-ISO-120-size for less than $3.00 and re-spool. The cost of new Kodak is 620 film is $14.00 each. By buying Kodak film one time you have a spool to re-spool or good luck on ebay pricing. If I had a 620 size camera I too would re-spool. I only post this for any one that does not like usnig the darkroom or using a bag

I did find one place for $7.15 per roll no nothing of them
    http://www.bluemooncamera.com/invent...500&deptID=557

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Which is re-spooled 120 at a much higher price.

Ian
    Last edited by smithdoor; 11-17-2013 at 09:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on the monitor! Do you know which model it is yet? I only ask because in addition to the Six-20 that people have been talking about Kodak also produced a Six-16 version of the monitor. Rather than 620 film, that one requires the larger 616 format which is no longer made, so it would make the camera somewhat more difficult to put back into service (although some DIY'ers have been known to convert them to 120 yeilding a semi-panoramic format - an interesting option if you are the crafty sort). The Six-16's versions do seem to be less common though, so the Six-20 is more likely what you have.

In either case, be aware that one defect for which these old monitors are notorious is pinhole light leaks in the bellows. You can test for this prior to running film through the camera by opening the back in a darkened room and shining a flashlight through the bellows. Look all along the folds of the bellows, especially in the corner creases, and see if you can see any light coming through what looks like tiny pinholes. Unfortunately, both of the monitors I have purchased are riddled with these pinholes and will need to be addressed before I can shoot without light leaks. But hopefully you will be more lucky than I was!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a mix of Elmers Glue and India Ink (50/50) to coat the inside of the bellows on my Kodak folders. Works great with 2 coats at the corners. There are other recipes out there with shoe black and dish soap. They all should work.

Have fun with the Monitor!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRT-102 | XD-5 | XD-11 | XE-7 | Hi-Matic 9 | Hi-Matic 11 | Sears 35RF | Minolta 5D | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Yashica YK | Minolta Maxxum 7000 | Pentax K1000 | Speed Graphic 23

http://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the easiest way to find a 620 spool (if you need one) is to check thrift stores for cameras with a 620 spool inside.

And, if anyone asks, you can say it's a 20 megapixel (more or less) camera.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin