Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,852   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamiya Universal that I bought in the mid 80's. Although the Universal is a rather heavy camera with the hand grip it is very hand holdable, works well with a monopod, easy to use in low light, and very quite. Draw backs as with any RF, limited lens, I have 3 of the 5 that were made, no depth of preview, and because I use a Universal I have to cock the shutter, no built in light meter, and the one long lens a 250 is very hard to find and expensive. But is does have interchangeable backs, a ground glass back and close up spaces. I have used a Koniomega Flex and serveral SLRs, the only camera that has tempeted me is the Pentex 6X7.

Regards

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Thomas:

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_m
    I'm headed to visit family in Japan this summer and have been thinking of picking up the 50mm for the Mamiya as well as a spare body...
    Thomas
    You may want to have some of your family in Japan check on prices there for some of the items you wish to purchase. Generally speaking, for any item that is readily available here in the U.S.A., it will be less expensive here than in Japan (sometimes much less expensive, especially at the two major stores in New York City). For those items that are difficult or impossible to obtain here, then Japan is the likely source.
    When in Tokyo I just love to go to "Yodobashi Camera", located in the Shinjuku district, and salivate over the many floors of photo items.
    Good luck in your quest, Kiku

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_m
    lMy normal usage is urban landscape type stuff.
    I often/usually do not have the luxury of being able
    to use a tripod and have to work fast.
    To work fast a 6 x 6 will help. Focus I think quicker with
    a SLR and your picture is on the screen. The camera is
    always upright on the tripod; a good place for the
    center of gravity. In the enlarger the negatives
    also are always upright.

Bronica did make a 65mm for their 2 1/4 square. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I decided to get back to MF after several frustrating years in 35mm, my only thought was of a Hasselblad. I contacted a pro friend of mine, who did a fine job of my daughter’s wedding, for advise. He informed me that he used to use two Hasselblads but was (for undisclosed reasons) unhappy. So he sold them and bought a couple of Koni Omega rangefinders – with which he made the wedding photographs. He also put me in touch with his friend who wished to sell his collection.

About 1997/8 while visiting in Charlottsville Va, I found a lovely little country church (horse country, that is) in a nearby village of Cismont. A neighbor of the folks we were visiting was an enthusiast Hassy owner and he and I went to Cismont to photograph the church. I supplied rolls of PXP film and set up the cameras on my (heavy as H---) tripod, adjusted the distance for the difference in focal lengths and made a few frames. I processed each roll identically in good ol’ D76 1:0.

On a whim, I masked the negatives so that the formats were not obvious and took the whole shebang to a local art school where three professional photographers attempted to match the negative with the camera. After much debate over “shadow values, sharpness, acuity, contrast”, et c., the unanimous conclusion was wrong – they picked the 6x7 KO negative. Well, the actual fact is that there is no difference in the enlargements at all. And I refuse to post these images because the scanning process destroys the very insignificant differences.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Images
    Good Morning, Dr. Bob,

The results of your comparative experiment are no surprise to this K-O user.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was a working photojournalist I shoot with RF (Lieca IIIG and Canon 7) and SLR (Nikon F, F2, F3), I now shoot with a Mamyia Universal, I have rented a Hassy or other MF SLR, and I would match a RF to any SLR in terms of negative quality. In terms of versatility and convenance the SLR wins hands down, but for a quality negative my vote still goes to the RF.

Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does the collapsing of the 6 gain? appx 1/2-3/4"?
    You could go with the Mamiya 7 & mask the film aperture to 6X6 if you really like the square. Then you have the availability of the new camera & lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am lucky enough to own a mamiya 7II and a Hasselblad 503cw.

These are two different animals. The mamiya is wild and free, small and light while the Hasselblad is more tame and strapped to a tripod.

But I love them both. If I was pressed to only keep one, I'd be in big trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya Universal has a multi format back with 4.5X 6 6X6 and 6X9 options.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    What does the collapsing of the 6 gain? appx 1/2-3/4"?
    You could go with the Mamiya 7 & mask the film aperture to 6X6 if you really like the square. Then you have the availability of the new camera & lenses.
    Regards[/QUOTE]

No, much, much more than that. It make a complete difference in the carryability of the camera. My Mamiya 6 fits in the a tiny carrybag. Look at the comparison photo in the middle of this review page:
    Mamiya 6 Review

T.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin