Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,545   Online: 1155

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Strange. I thought I was speaking English. It originated on a little island off the European coast and I just assumed it's the same English everybody else speaks. Hmmm. I didn't think I had to write a treatise on the legendary Hasselblad C series. Not many things in this world ever got a reputation of their caliber. And well-deserved I say. My ELM trips off like a feather. The C does not. I hope that's clear now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My English comprehension is just fine. From just one of your posts: "I'll not have a camera that jumps like a bullfrog when I trip it." I would think a camera that vibrates like that would have to be considered substandard. There are other posts I could quote, too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Had to look these up, so ELM means electronic? What's with the 9V conversion? Is the original battery not available? It is SO much cheaper, makes me want to pick one up...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    The original battery is 100 dollars apiece. Do NOT use the 9v conversion. Besides, the basttery weight is part of the vib. damping you have working for you. Instead, I fabricated battery packs out of box tape, chipboard (like from a scratch pad), and five 1.2v AAA rechargeables soldered in series. Then wrap the set with cardboard to fill out the space of the compartment. Tape chipboard ends to this rolled-up tube, and affix some copper tape or some such, and solder the wires coming off the battery set. Works perfect. Right voltage, good battery life, and a little bit of needed weight to add to that natural tripod, called the motor drive unit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I see a cheapo EL listed as a "parts camera" on fleabay right now for 89 bucks. It's missing the battery cover. More often than not, the EL ELM "parts cameras" work perfectly. They're either missing a panel cover or the motor is noisy, or somesuch other triviality. I can have one working lickity-split. Give me one of those parts EL's an I can have it working like a champ in 30 minutes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Crazy. Were the $100 batteries rechargeable? Or one time only?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are 2 identical rechargeable battery packs about the size of a D cell. They are run in parallel, for reason of capacity. You can get by with 1. Each unit contains 5, 1.2v Cd rechargebles of the big button type. I have also run 4-AAA alkalines (total 6v) that I soldered together. But you have to keep making packs that way. Nine volts is too much voltage, and no capacity, and big expense. My remedy works very well. But I advise making up both packs, both for weight and capacity's sake. It's the weight that makes the EL fire smooth, along with the ingenious little pin on the drive gear that pushes the mirror back up after the big whack and bounce. Smooth as a Rollei. (almost).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    There are 2 identical rechargeable battery packs about the size of a D cell. They are run in parallel, for reason of capacity. You can get by with 1. Each unit contains 5, 1.2v Cd rechargebles of the big button type. I have also run 4-AAA alkalines (total 6v) that I soldered together. But you have to keep making packs that way. Nine volts is too much voltage, and no capacity, and big expense. My remedy works very well. But I advise making up both packs, both for weight and capacity's sake. It's the weight that makes the EL fire smooth, along with the ingenious little pin on the drive gear that pushes the mirror back up after the big whack and bounce. Smooth as a Rollei. (almost).
    I think the simpler solution is to not use this camera at all, and keep my money, which takes a tiny little battery that I can buy anywhere (well not anywhere, but at most CBS's and obviously online which is a better deal in sets of 5 for $10) no wonder they're so cheap

If I'm going to buy another meeting format system, it better damn well not need batteries at all... The whole mixture of batteries and cameras for film just annoys the heck out of me lol. I do too much shooting in weather conditions that and up killing batteries, like freezing weather etc., so that's why I went large-format, no batteries thank goodness!

The only thing in my kit that needs a battery is the spot meter, if I could find a good spot meter that didn't require batteries I would be in heaven!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well enough. But if it was good enough for the Apollo program, it's plenty for me. I'm using mine tomorrow at Tgiving lunch. Click....whirrrr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've shot a few rolls through a couple transition 500C bodies (the ones that were marked as 500C's but were actually C/M's). I've yet to experience the "bullfrog" effect. If it's that big of a deal, there is a tab just below the wind crank (or knob, depending on your persuasion) that is the mirror prefire. Hit that, and take your shot. To me, it feels no worse than an FM2n or a Nikkormat FT series body. If anything, it feels more damped.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin