Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,303   Online: 1226

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Rollei for $100 was unlikely to be fantastic.

If you like the Rolleis, invest just a little more and get a nice one from a store with a decent reputation. If you don't bother with a built in meter, then you can get a good one for not huge amounts of money.

I like the Zeiss Ikonta III, it's a tiny 6x6 camera, it's only failing is that to get good frame spacing, you need to apply some tape to the film backing for every roll. They are good value, and excellent cameras. However, get a good Rolleiflex, and you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Hasselblads are nice too of course, but if you only need one standard lens, then I think Rolleiflex is the way to go.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If weight is your primary issue then I would suggest a Mamiya 7 with one lens. I use a Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens (widest lens that does not need a separate viewfinder) and am happy to carry it throughout a photographic 'session'. For my way of working, a 'session' comprises 4 - 7 hours tramping the streets (depends upon time of year). At the end of a 'session' my legs might ache, I can be pretty ravenous, my eyes can be tired but my shoulder and back do not suffer from carrying the equipment for so long. If you want medium format negatives, want something portable and are happy shooting rangefinders then that is the way to go.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When size matters.........
    I carry a folder. In fact I find I am carrying this more and more. 1953 Zeiss Nettar. Only a triplet lens, not a Tessar, all mechanical, no rangefinder no meter. OK, not quite up there with my Mamiya, but other than wide open, its good enough and the pocketability is a huge advantage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Hi folks, long time lurker... don't post much.

I absolutely love my RB67 but at the end of the day I end up leaving it at home because of it's overall size. The negs coming off this camera are just beautiful, but again my only complaint is the size.
    /SNIP

If you loved MF and size were an issue, as well as maintaining a purely mechanical system...

what would your suggestions be?

PS, I am looking to combine an M6 and a MF rig to fit in a Billingham bag and be something that is always by my side.
    presuming you mean the space it takes up and not the weight? Why not try a folder or two then? No personal experience with them but they do *seem* fit in nicely into a pocket.

If weight's an issue, going to hassies or other mamiya/645s might not help much - relatively lighter but not all that much overall. Plus RB/RZ/Hassie you hold at the waist/chest level than say the Mamiya 645 or equivalents - you'd probably find them equally heavy after a while.

How about plastic ones - the Rfs in comments above or even *gasp* holgas? (assuming they suit your style - which we have no idea of, at this point)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujifilm GA645. Light as a feather, and a "folder" in that the lens collapses. I carry it all over the world with ease.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Or if you prefer the moving picture version of what should happen to all RB67's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjdxwOf698
    Instead of smashing your RB, just send it to me?... I'll pay the postage.

PS... The RB did very well under a 20lb hammer... I wonder how a Blad would fare in the same amt of punishment? Tough cameras to beat even with a monster abusing it.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I must say, I'v been searching for a lightweight, compact MF for a while now. I do a fair amount of long-distance backpacking, and have been wanting something I could easily carry along for when I have time to be more deliberate with my photography on a trip.

I first got a Pentax 645 and have a 645n. These beauties sold me on MF, but are too bulky and heavy for long distance backpacking - at least for me. I also went through a series of TLRs. Yashica A, Yashica D, and now a Yashica 124 and 124G. Again, kinda bulky for a small backpack. I do love using them, though and the results are great. They are keepers, just won't make it into my backpack too often.

Recently I got a Zeis Mess Ikonta 524/16. Now we're talking on compact, still pretty heavy. Haven't had a lot of opportunity to use it yet, but it will probably be a keeper as it's ticking off most of my boxes.

That said, I'm still looking. Yesterday I received an Agfa Isolette. One of the earlier models with the Agnar 85 lens in a Vario shutter. I know, pretty much bottom of the line combination, but it was reasonably priced and is in EXCELLENT condition. Focus is very smooth and easy, shutter sounds good in all 4 settings. Bellows looks good to my eye, but from what I've read they almost always need replacing. This camera is very compact and VERY light compared to the others mentioned. I will shoot it and see how the photos turn out. It is probably also a keeper, but there are several more folder versions I'd like to check out.

My point is, if the criteria are good MF photos and compact, reasonably light weight, the folders seem to be winning... for me anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plaubel Makina would be my absolute first choice if price was no object, but it is ... so I have an Ikoflex and I'm very happy with it.

It's the size of a Rolliecord but better build quality and more character.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    A Rollei for $100 was unlikely to be fantastic.

If you like the Rolleis, invest just a little more and get a nice one from a store with a decent reputation. If you don't bother with a built in meter, then you can get a good one for not huge amounts of money.

I like the Zeiss Ikonta III, it's a tiny 6x6 camera, it's only failing is that to get good frame spacing, you need to apply some tape to the film backing for every roll. They are good value, and excellent cameras. However, get a good Rolleiflex, and you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Hasselblads are nice too of course, but if you only need one standard lens, then I think Rolleiflex is the way to go.
    I knew going into it a repair was needed, just from experience searching through various auctions and such. I'm just not sure if the camera is worth sinking 500-600 dollars into to bring to top shape from "the" Rollei repairman at Ocean Side Camera in CA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If size matters, check out a quality folder, like a Zeiss Ikon..
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin