Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,340   Online: 1027

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya 6. I cannot believe no one has mentioned this system yet. The most lightweight and portable MF system with multiple lens options, slightly smaller than the Mamiya 7, which is a great lightweight system too. It also has the sharpest lenses in MF.

Neither the Mamiya 6 or 7 are purely mechanical however, both have electronically controlled shutters. If that is what you are after, I'd go Hassy, which isn't much lighter than your RB though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Mamiya 6. I cannot believe no one has mentioned this system yet. The most lightweight and portable MF system with multiple lens options, slightly smaller than the Mamiya 7, which is a great lightweight system too. It also has the sharpest lenses in MF.

Neither the Mamiya 6 or 7 are purely mechanical however, both have electronically controlled shutters. If that is what you are after, I'd go Hassy, which isn't much lighter than your RB though.
    Mamiya-6 Folding is quite capable of making good negatives if 6x6 is acceptable.

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Rolleicord. Small, relatively light, and simple. I'm partial to the ones w/ the the Triotar lenses. They can be bought for a lot less money than the Tessar models, and make wonderful portraits. The three element Triotar is 3-D sharp in the center w/ very nice bokeh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb10.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	631.1 KB 
ID:	77656
    Last edited by momus; 11-28-2013 at 07:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah yes, the 8x10. I have one in my arsenal, it's the heaviest thing I've ever trekked with. I have a Burke and James Commercial, they call it a field as it's not a monorail but it's also non folding, which plain sucks.

I can't go with the a mamiya 6 or 7, I need a mechanical rig. I like to know if something mechanically breaks it can be fixed... The same can't be said for electronic items.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are looking for true portability in 6x7 or larger you really can't beat a folder. They fit in your cargo pants pocket' use 120 film n are real cheap... Even cheaper if you DIY restorations.

Anothe overlooked 6x7 that has made me a fortune as a wedding photographer n has served me right to this day as a beautiful take along is the Omega Rapid. It's a fun camera to use.

Then my street shooter is my trusty 645 ETRS. Beautiful negs n a system can be had for $300.

If weight is a concern... Yashicamat 6x6! Dirt cheap n so much fun to use. Beautiful camera at a bargain basement price.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    If you are looking for true portability in 6x7 or larger you really can't beat a folder. They fit in your cargo pants pocket' use 120 film n are real cheap... Even cheaper if you DIY restorations.

Anothe overlooked 6x7 that has made me a fortune as a wedding photographer n has served me right to this day as a beautiful take along is the Omega Rapid. It's a fun camera to use.

Then my street shooter is my trusty 645 ETRS. Beautiful negs n a system can be had for $300.

If weight is a concern... Yashicamat 6x6! Dirt cheap n so much fun to use. Beautiful camera at a bargain basement price.
    I'm definitely not bound to 6x7, in fact I think I'd rather 6x6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad for decades advertised the "Square is the Perfect Format".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I'm definitely not bound to 6x7, in fact I think I'd rather 6x6.
    Mamiya-6 Folder is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Film plane coupled rangefinder focusing, slide in pressure plate to ensure film stays flat, Olympus Zuiko lens that is pretty sharp, bright viewfinder for the period, frame counter wind-on. Fits in a jacket pocket. It needs a Leica style adapter for the cable release.

(is from bokuwanihongasuki's photostream on flickr)

You wouldn't want to part with it once you'd used it a couple of times. (This is actually a problem, folks want to keep them, so they are not freely up for sale like the Zeiss folders are...)

RR
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 11-29-2013 at 12:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in my opinion ,the Msmiya 6 is by far the best MF travel camera.It combines light weight with optical excellence and simplicity of operation; I recommend the 50,75 and 150mm lenses for it. It won't let you down; one disadvantage is that it cannot be used as a boat anchot. your RB67 is much better for that.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The RB is a handful. I haven't tried the left hand grip yet but I think a Bronica GS-1 with a Speed Grip is easier to hand hold. When I want to use a medium format camera which isn't too heavy I take a Bronica SQ-A with a Waist Level finder, back and 80/2.8 lens. It's a lot lighter than the RB and I don't mind the laterally reversed image. Even with a prism finder and Speed Grip is isn't too bad but it is heavier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin