Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,231   Online: 828

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assuming you like ground glass viewing, as well as inexpensive, try a Japanese TLR like a Yashica Mat, Autocord or Diacord. They have fairly bright viewing screens and decent Tessar-type lenses. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about strictly mechanical cameras though. An SLR with an electronically-controlled shutter, like a Bronica ETRS or SQ series will have accurate shutter speeds, and the battery lasts and lasts (if you are not using a metering prism). You can carry a spare silver oxide battery in a little pocket of your bag if you are concerned and you are good for years. My ETRSi seems to work fine even in freezing conditions. An SQ or ETRS with normal lens and WLF is about the same size and weight as a TLR and somewhere in price between a Rolleicord and a lower end Rolleiflex. The main thing to keep it light and compact is to use the WLF and not a prism or speed grip.
    Last edited by hsandler; 11-29-2013 at 07:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about strictly mechanical cameras though.
    I am sure you are wonderful and this has never happened to you ...

In cold weather when one is outside for a while, the battery dies.

When you can least afford a problem, there are no stores for great distances, you have a once in a lifetime moment, the battery dies.

No matter how well prepared we are when we need things to work, the battery dies and there is not a spare.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Batteries have come a looooong way. Read this: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/mechanical.html.
    My Mamiya 645 Pro is still running on the same batteries for at least the last 2 years, both the winder and the camera with a metered prism. Spare batteries and the hand crank in the camera bag. There are also low self-discharge NiMh batteries nowadays, search for "Sanyo Eneloop".
    Last edited by spijker; 11-29-2013 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Batteries have come a looooong way.
    The laws of physics and chemistry have not changed. Spend a day in the snow at 10°F [-12°C] and see if the batteries are still working. Or -25°C at Sunshine in Banff or Kicking Horse or Fernie and tell me what happened to your batteries.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Correct, the laws of physics and chemistry say that only at 0°K (-273.15°C) it all ends. Above that temperature it's "just" a matter of using the right materials. And that's where technology and innovation kicks in.

I have photographed at -25°C, both in Canada and Kazakhstan with 35mm SLR & DSLR cameras. It worked and I think that on those occasions I was more bothered by the cold than the cameras. :-) Different example, my car with a diesel engine always starts without a problem after having spent the whole day in the parking lot at -20C. It gets that cold here. Different type of battery and a different application but it works.
    Last edited by spijker; 11-29-2013 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always tend to a mechanical camera because a mechanical issue can be fixed with more ease, as opposed to an electronic issue that limits who can fix it and increases the price.... Plus I like knowing no matter where I am in any condition my rig will function.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that a Bronica with an electronic shutter has accurate speeds and that the battery lasts a long time. Last summer I had a problem with the battery in a Mamiya M645 1000S which had a PD prism finder. I had to search around Cape May, NJ to find a PX28. Who had it? Radio Shack in North Cape May. Unfortunately they only had the alkaline battery but it worked and my photos with the 1000S wwre fine. For now my only medium format SLR which does not need a battery is a Mamiya RB67 Pro S. I have numerous other Bronica and Mamiya medium format cameras and they all need a battery to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have such a love hate with my RB67 ProSD... its in great shape, produces great negs, but takes up my ENTIRE camera bag!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go ahead and rule out a century graphic, with a 120 back those things weigh a ton and are a oddly shaped

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiithulhu View Post
    I'll go ahead and rule out a century graphic, with a 120 back those things weigh a ton and are a oddly shaped
    this is my dream bag... 1/2 way there! M6 and the bag, still looking for that 120 combo to complete

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fore1/8...n/photostream/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin