Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,051   Online: 1016

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Which model of Rolleiflex did you buy? Depending on the model, the $500 repair bill would be worth it. If you have a 2.8 of just about any flavor, being on the hook for a total of $700 is still a good deal. Even a lot of the 3.5's are worth it. If it's a Rolleicord, just stick it on the bookshelf and let it look pretty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Get a Hasselblad. Period.

Small, beautifully made, the best lenses in the world
    I'm not con vinced of that think my Mamiya 6 lenses clearly havethe edge over my Carl Zeiss lenses. Don't get me wrong Zeiss optics are excellent, but Mamiya hasthe edge inhigher aresolutionin thecenter and the corners at least in m,y simple tests;like to see some Mamiya MTFs to have a betterand more objective comparison.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That said in one of the test comparing Mamiya, Rollieflex and Hasselblad, Mamiya more or less outperforms the rest. Author was suspecting it may be because of film flatness.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    That said in one of the test comparing Mamiya, Rollieflex and Hasselblad, Mamiya more or less outperforms the rest. Author was suspecting it may be because of film flatness.
    This sounds like a religious argument, such as ala Jonathan Swift which end of the egg does one open?
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-30-2013 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: type O typo
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by baachitraka; 11-30-2013 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I always tend to a mechanical camera because a mechanical issue can be fixed with more ease, as opposed to an electronic issue that limits who can fix it and increases the price.... Plus I like knowing no matter where I am in any condition my rig will function.
    Mechanical parts can fail in extreme cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't summarize those results quite the way you did---to me the big-picture result is that the differences between the cameras are small, even in a tightly controlled test with a lot of attention given to controlling other variables. It certainly speaks well of the Mamiya's performance, but I don't think it really militates for choosing one system over another in terms of image quality, for most practical uses.

To be sure the Mamiya 7 is a wonderful system, and quite portable for its size; I don't mean any disrespect towards it or Chris Perez! But that same article actually tends to convince me that I'm not missing much by carrying around a Rolleiflex.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Mechanical parts can fail in extreme cold.
    Now your desperation is really showing. Generally the human body breaks down from cold before a properly serviced mechanical camera would, and that would be well after the battery ceased working due to hypothermia.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-30-2013 at 04:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that a couple of spare batteries, in a warm pocket, would cover the cold issue.

But then whether it is mechanical, or electrical, where are you finding a repair person out there in those temperatures?

I have to mail mine off to someone who is working, I believe, in a nice comfy clean room.

Sadly, there is no local repair mechanical or not, here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Now your desperation is really showing. Generally the human body breaks down from cold before a properly serviced mechanical camera would, and that would be well after the battery ceased working due to hypothermia.
    Desperation?? Wow are you deluded. It's a simple fact that mechanical devices can fail in extreme cold weather. Your hysteria does not change this fact.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin