Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,972   Online: 1173

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    If you loved MF and size were an issue, as well as maintaining a purely mechanical system...

what would your suggestions be?

PS, I am looking to combine an M6 and a MF rig to fit in a Billingham bag and be something that is always by my side.
    I haven't posted much and I haven't looked at the responses yet, but I would suggest the Hasselblad system. They're relatively small and weigh as much as a DSLR with a f/1.4 prime lens or fast zoom attached. You can pick up a 500 c/m kit pretty cheap. There are some things you need to look out for, though. The back might have light leaks because they're old, the shutters may be worn in the lenses (easily remedied with another lens), or the inserts might not match the film back (the film won't be as flat as it could be). They're relatively loud when the shutter is tripped so discrete street photography is out.

If you need quiet, though, a leaf shutter is the way to go. I think the Mamiya 6 or the Fuji 690 (I think that's the camera and manufacturer) should work in a pinch. Not sure how much they cost though.

Good luck!
    Last edited by nathantw; 12-03-2013 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only two cameras I currently own are an RB67 and a M6451000S, I drag along the RB almost everytime I go out and shoot mostly handheld with the multi angle grip. On the rare occasion that I need something lighter I take the 645, regardless of which I take my tripod a Bogen/Manfrotto 3251 is gonna slow me down.
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, Mamiya-Sekor 90mm F=3.8C

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Desperation?? Wow are you deluded. It's a simple fact that mechanical devices can fail in extreme cold weather. Your hysteria does not change this fact.
    Your logic was desperate. If the weather is cold enough for a properly maintained mechanical camera to fail, the batteries would have failed long before and your fingers would have dropped off from frostbite. Yes, your logic is both flawed and desperate.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hahahaha another problem in very cold condition is frozen stiff film putting undue stress on the advancing mechanisms n frozem weak batteries may not transport at all... Your motor drve may seize since it is lubed with oil.

I had a problem with my RB once when camping in minus 10f, left the camera in my backpack overnight. I tried to advance my film... A mistaske i realized as soon as i tried. No shooting that day.. Besides it would have taken us hours to warm it to the point of no condensation.

Btw a well cared for shutter won't fail because of cold unless it was lubed wrong. Most leaf shutters run dry, so nothing to slow it down.

I can appreciate mechanical over electronic as far as repairs (in my shop) go.. But not as someone might have misconstrued as field service.... Yes your batteries would be dead as your fingers fall off.
    Last edited by paul ron; 12-05-2013 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Hahahaha another problem in very cold condition is frozen stiff film putting undue stress on the advancing mechanisms n frozem weak batteries may not transport at all... Your motor drve may seize since it is lubed with oil.
    Hence my comments have had the properly maintained phrase. When I am going into cold weather situations I have the equipment CLAed with the lubricants for cold weather. That will not eliminate the problems with film becoming brittle or getting static discharge marks from advancing film too quickly in low humidity cold environments.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, for all those people that still do not believe in working batteries in cold temperatures, read this paper on Energizer lithium batteries that are readily available in stores. Yes, performance is less at -20C but these batteries are still far from dead at that temperature.

This is type of battery that I use in my film cameras. The operating range is specified as -40C to +60C (-40F to 140F). -40C is probably pushing it for the winder (high current) but the lightmeter and shutter should be fine. But I will certainly not go out for photography at -40C (excl. windchill) so that's not an issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes properly maintained camers is the key... Not many people have their equipment serviced anymore. They like to wait till it drops dead, then justify it was a piece of junk n buy another ab-used camera.

Btw batteries have come a long way with lithion. They are real preformers. But other limitations contribute in cold conditions. ... Motors in auto focus, film transport motors, relays... Too many parts that can't run dry.

I wonder what film was used on the moon? I read an article from a polar expedition that had serious problems with brittle film breaking while advancing frames. The camera itself had no problems at all.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the main problem with mechanical cameras in the cold is not seizing, but slowing. I had an autocord tnat did that. if you couple that with no availability of a light meter in our "no battery" thought experiment, it becomes hit and miss what you will get. I like an electronic shutter because the springs are always releasing at maximum tension, so the slower speeds stay accurate in the cold. if the battery was really a problem, i could keep a warm spare in my inside pocket, but I have left the Bronica and its silver oxide battery in my car overnight at -12c and no problem shooting in the morning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An M6 is quite small (depending on which lens you have on it), so I would continue that theme and buy a nice folder. Shoot, put the folder in a pocket, sling the M6 on a strap, and nix the side bag. I never understood those bags anyway. They just scream "expensive yuppie camera inside". I know that a lot of people use old diaper bags to disguise things, but there's still the access issue. By the time I fumble a camera out of a side bag my shot is long gone. I have photos from a Voigtlander folder w/ a Heliar lens that look as good as shots from a Rolleiflex w/ a Planar. Really. Best dang mf lenses ever made.
    Last edited by momus; 12-06-2013 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That will not eliminate the problems with film becoming brittle or getting static discharge marks from advancing film too quickly in low humidity cold environments.
    That is a very real problem. Best not to use a motor drive unless you have one with the slooow advance mode.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin