Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1072

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I know that a lot of people use old diaper bags to disguise things, but there's still the access issue. By the time I fumble a camera out of a side bag my shot is long gone.
    When it comes to using old diaper bags, it Depends!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hahahaha tff!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    MURDER!!! When I saw that my blood ran cold!

It had to have been a digiphile. Not even the most rabid owner of a Swedish or German film camera would do something like this!

The detestable sociopath never even used the camera he killed. His scrawny arms are proof enough of that.

The murderer's time will come. He will be caught and sentenced to having an RB 67 dropped on his head from a distance of one inch, and that will be the last of him.

I just hope Kubach never has to see what I just witnessed.
    +1

That video does beg the question of how a Hassy would stand up?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are willing to work within the limitations, an old folder can produce very good quality negs, and they are cheap enough you can just pick one up to try it out. Personally I would love the modern Fuji/Voigtlander folder, but I have never tried it as I can't afford it. Another option to consider is the Fuji GA645 - it is not mechanical, in fact, it is very much like a big point and shoot. But it is very high quality, produces very high quality negs, is satisfying to use, and quite compact and lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It can be expensive, but you might consider a 6x9 view camera. The camera and lenses aren't nearly as heavy, and view cameras offer movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were going got a really portable MF camera (and would not want to get an old folder for whatever reason) I would end up with either GA645 or GS645 (this one may need service), or Bessa III or Makina 670 if I wanted larger neg.

Shooter
    Medium Format

a somewhat rambling reply

I'll supply a bit of background about myself. I was once a pretty serious photography student. I have quite a bit of experience with medium and large format shooting. I'm also an avid hiker. I spent the summer fo '99 at the maine phtographic workshops where I exposed a lot of film. At the time I had Mamiya 645pro system. I carried that thing around a lot and liked it most of the time. mid way through the summer I had the chance to "borrow" a mamiya 6mf for a day. It changed my whole way of thinking. I loved it, and it is still my favorite camera ever. I sold the 645pro gear and picked up my own 6 with 2 lenses later on that year.
    shooting square versus rectangle is an easily surmounted obstacle. If you have any tlr experience it will be an even smoother transition.

fast forward 13 years, and now I'm looking for the same thing as our thread starter. money is an object, otherwise I'd have a mamiya 6/6mf again.
    Ultimately, for the way i shoot, I need multiple lens options. i really like the Fuji rangefinders, but I would be found wanting when in the field. Also, there are some really nice old folders out there, but still fixed lens. In my research, it seems like there is no wide angle option on any of the older folders; (ikon, ikonta, mamiya6, voigtlander bessa, perkeo, etc), unless I've missed something.
    ( I have zero experiece with the newer RF670, or the RF645 although both seem like they could be fine cameras)
    If weight is the ultimate issue, and you're willing to live with some electronics, I'd say go for Fuji GA or GS cameras ( obviously GA means more elcronics) Then the Mamiya rangefinders, (Plaubel Makinas would mean more than one body), then a modular system ala hassy, Mamiya, Bronica, etc.

If zero electronics is the drving factor then you're into older folders TLR's, and some system cameras.

money; Lately, the cheapest Plaubel Makina 67 series I've seen was 1200. i've seen a supposedly working Mamiya 7 body for 500, Hasselblad stuff is all over the map.

lens sharpness; imho, this is beating a dead horse, and is a somewhat subjective issue. So not taking into account exacting tests done in a lab type atmosphere, if you are a competent photographer and understand basic exposure and depth of field principles, you can make a pretty damn sharp image with almost anything, and a pleasing image with even crazier things (Diana, Holga, star filters, etc etc) Conversely, if you have no medium format experience, your image quality will probably be the same whether you spend thousands on a Hasselblad full system, or hundreds on an old Mamiya or Bronica system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm no MF expert but having owned a few (Mamiya TLR, Horseman, Hasselblad) over the years, I'd have to say the Hasselblad 500CM is my favorite. Once I went out on the Gulf of Mexico off the west coast of Florida. I forgot to secure the drain plug and the back of the boat took on a few inches of water before I could fix the problem. The body got wet - salt water! I thought it was the end. I figured it couldn't get any worse so I washed everything in fresh water. Talk about taking a lickin'! 10 years later it's still making great images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went with a Mamiya c330f. I don't care about weight but rather overall bulk. It will fit in a bag with my M6.

Daniel-Duarte.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I went with a Mamiya c330f. I don't care about weight but rather overall bulk. It will fit in a bag with my M6.

Ican't think oof a smaller package than the Mamiya 6
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin