Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 953

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

When Size Matter... MF and Portability

Hi folks, long time lurker... don't post much.

I absolutely love my RB67 but at the end of the day I end up leaving it at home because of it's overall size. The negs coming off this camera are just beautiful, but again my only complaint is the size.
    I looked at Rolleiflexes, recently bought one off Craigslist and got burned. I only put in 100 dollars but the camera had a dead shutter, I took a chance and now am finding out a repair will be big money. I love the size of the Rollei but am lost with the infinite models they made.

If you loved MF and size were an issue, as well as maintaining a purely mechanical system...

what would your suggestions be?

PS, I am looking to combine an M6 and a MF rig to fit in a Billingham bag and be something that is always by my side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLRs are nice, but getting used to shooting that way can be difficult to get used to. Then again, it can also be a source of inspiration.
    I have a Mamiya 645 Pro, and I'd recommend it. The plastic body is light and as portable as any other MF system, the 645 aspect ratio gets you more shots per roll without reloading, and I feel it gives me the best of both worlds as far as image quality vs. portability. You can add or take away prisms and winders to balance size and convenience. It has an electronic shutter, like most modern cameras, but battery like is extremely long in the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I have an RB and so I have thought lots about alternatives for those rare times when I can't bring 25lbs of backpack along. A camera which is easy to handhold sometimes would also be a boon. In any case if you want to stay at 6x7 or larger then some solutions (none of which I can afford) are:

Mamiya 7 (same or better quality images, interchangeable lenses, lighter, much better for handholding)
    Plaubel Makina 67 (super compact fixed lens folder)
    Fuji GW670 series or (690 if you want to shoot 6x9) - also fixed lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Find a good 124G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Either get a Voigtlander Bessa RF with Heliar lens or another Rolleiflex. Both are excellent. The Bessa will fit in a large pocket when folded up.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a Hasselblad. Period.

Small, beautifully made, the best lenses in the world and extremely versatile.

And if you'd like to send me your RB, I'd be happy to do to it what I did to mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7461408822_310e5f07dc_o.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	77646

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or if you prefer the moving picture version of what should happen to all RB67's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjdxwOf698

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rollei models are multifarious for sure. Basically, any Rolleicord with a Tessar or Xenar should be a good shooter subject to the limits of those lenses; the complications are in the Rolleiflex models. Basically, I think you're safe with the Automat models and with any model that has "2.8" or "3.5" in the name; those are the ones that don't have strange gotchas like nonstandard formats or unworkable autoexposure.

I'm a TLR believer personally, but some people find them awkward. Nothing in medium format, other than folders, beats them for portability, though, and for those of us who like them, their restrictions are virtues.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well I can carry 65, 80 and 135mm and Mamiya C330 15miles in medium sized gbag and not notice it at end of day of city streets.
    The RB and three lenses and spare back needs all day in coffee shop way points, working from Billingham
    A blad kit is still to heavy for 15 miles
    When you fire the 12th or 10 frame the C330 is faster to reload compared to insert camera or back. I can reload on fast walk if the sun is behind.
    The spare back allows another 10 or 12 but then you need to reload twice and juggle.
    Only lens changing is a handicap with the C330.
    I still have 220 for another few months so the insert cameras will be at bigger disadvantage with 120 only.
    For faster shooting I need three CanonP (35mm) and three lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Or if you prefer the moving picture version of what should happen to all RB67's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjdxwOf698
    MURDER!!! When I saw that my blood ran cold!

It had to have been a digiphile. Not even the most rabid owner of a Swedish or German film camera would do something like this!

The detestable sociopath never even used the camera he killed. His scrawny arms are proof enough of that.

The murderer's time will come. He will be caught and sentenced to having an RB 67 dropped on his head from a distance of one inch, and that will be the last of him.

I just hope Kubach never has to see what I just witnessed.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin