Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,771   Online: 995

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Just bought two lenses for RB67

Hello from Edinburgh.

I've been using the RB67 Pro SD on and off for a year now, with the 90mm lens. But lately I've decided to try to make it my go-to camera, and have invested in the 180mm portrait lens (K/L), and the 140mm Macro C.

The 180mm arrived yesterday, and is in perfect condition. It is great to look through. I have the regular waist-level finder.

The macro arrived today. The glass looks in excellent condition, though there are a few small marks on the casing. No problem. I was surprised, though, that it didn't seem like a macro when I looked through it. I guess it will give better images when used close. But I have now picked up a extension tube No.1, and that should arrive on Saturday or Monday.

The only thing I don't have at the moment is film! But that is on its way too. Some HP5 and some Velvia.

One thing I'd like your advice about. The macro lens, not being a K/L lens, proved a little stiff when trying to lock into the camera body. The K/L lenses lock in easily. Is this common?

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Completely off topic, would you be Rob MacKillop the lutenist?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would be!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    I would be!
    Son of a gun! I have one of your CDs -- Greysteil -- and like it very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might have to use an adapter ring to use a "C" lens on your Pro SD. Did you check about the compatibility of the adapter ring to your body and lenses? I get mixed up about the topic, but I use KL lenses on my Pro-S without the ring. Don't have any "C" lenses.

There are numerous warnings and cautions out there about getting a lens jammed on your camea if the ring is not used certain times. Don't recall the details. Sorry if I'm going on about something you may have already checked.

I like the pictures on your images link. Love the way you show the character of your country. They show emotion and stir the imagination. Would love to visit Scotland some day. Good luck with the new lenses.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Page 2 of the Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD owner manual, in the Introduction section in the right column, paragraph entitled "Enlarged Lens Mount", states "Compared to the conventional RB67 Series, the Pro-SD has a lens mount with a diameter 7mm larger, making it possible to accept a new group of high performance sophisticated lenses, such as the APO, shift and newly designed wide angle lens 75mm."

I think you have to put the adapter ring on a "C" lens (to make it 7mm larger diameter) or it will jam in the mount of the Pro-SD.

The owner manual can be found at Mamiyaleaf.com. I apologize if I have miscontrued the facts, or am belaboring the obvious.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    You might have to use an adapter ring to use a "C" lens on your Pro SD. Did you check about the compatibility of the adapter ring to your body and lenses? I get mixed up about the topic, but I use KL lenses on my Pro-S without the ring. Don't have any "C" lenses.

There are numerous warnings and cautions out there about getting a lens jammed on your camea if the ring is not used certain times. Don't recall the details. Sorry if I'm going on about something you may have already checked.

I like the pictures on your images link. Love the way you show the character of your country. They show emotion and stir the imagination. Would love to visit Scotland some day. Good luck with the new lenses.
    The C lenses are fine on the Pro-SD - it is only the original, pre "C" line that can be problematic.

The mount itself is the same, but the KL lenses are made to fill the space available in the larger "throat" that was put in to permit use of the 75mm shift lens (and one other esoteric lens, I think).

And as for the 140mm macro lens being more stiff than the other, all I can say is that my 4 lenses vary somewhat in how easily they mount on the camera. I think it may depend on how much the mounting ring has been used.

Have fun with the 140mm macro lens.

In case you don't have it, I have a pdf of the instructions for the 140mm macro lens. It is slightly too big to attach here, so if you pm me your email address I'll send it to you that way.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. I was getting a bit worried until Matt chimed in - thanks, Matt. BTW, I already have the macro instructions. And thanks to Jeff for his nice comments about my images, and to Dan for buying one of my CDs

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd like to chime in with an on topic question or two. I'm new to owning an RB67. The ones that i have (I have 2) are RB67 Professionals with 90mm and 180mm lenses. What should I be looking for when searching for additional lenses? I was not aware that there are different mounts or different size mounts for the RB67's. I will be looking into the purchase of some wider angle lenses such as 45-50mm and some longer focal lengths possibly 250mm-360mm. If I could afford it I would search for the complete line up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't believe this issue has been cleared up. Please refer to page 37 of the ProSD "Instructions" booklet. The chart shows when to use the ring, and when to leave it off. It clearly states to use the ring with a C lens on a ProSD.

It reads, "When using the Mamiya Sekor C interchangeable lenses with the RB67 Pro-SD, the lens mount adapter ring must be used." Are you using the ring? It also states, "The lens mount adapter ring comes with Sekor C lenses."

Previous postings may lead you to believe the C lenses are "fine" to use, but not following the directions in the manual may lead to trouble. As to the difference between C and pre-C lenses, I don't know why this would be an issue, since the change occurred with the KL lenses. 7mm is 7mm.

A smaller diameter lens in an opening that's 7mm larger, cranked down tight with the "bayonet ring", will be pressed against the side of the mount throat in one spot, rather than centered all around the edges with even pressure. You might get away with putting it on and off, but if you leave it on for a while it might tighten up.

I'm only reporting what I have found in my research, mostly in order to clear this up in my own mind, and I have, as previously stated, limited experience. To summarize, the best answer I have found to your original posting is the chart on page 37 of the instructions manual. If there is an issue of lens fit, that would be the first variable to check, and I'm assuming by your not mentioning the adapter ring, that it may not be attached. If you have any trouble getting the manual I'm referring to, I could send it to you. Thanks very much for reading this, and I hope my response is of some help.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin