Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,439   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex vs Yashicamat 124G (Or Others)

I know the lineage of the Rollei's, they carry an outstanding reputation. But right now, the camera isn't in my wheelhouse and I'm desperately trying to break from my "best or nothing mentality" attitude and avoid spending 1000-1500 on a Rollei.

Yashicamat users, speak up... give me your 2 cents!

Dollar for dollar they seem to be a great value, how do they stack up in the TLR world.

Dan

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No longer a Yashicamat owner but I did have a 635 which is a better build camera than the 124G.
    The images you get from any of those cameras will be very very nice. The Yashinon lens (Tessar) is very good stopped down a bit.
    If build quality which is not on the same level as a Rollei is not a concern go for it. You can always sell again without loosing much money

Shooter
    Large Format
    124G is a fine camera. Use it with confidence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if it helps you any, the compur shutters on rolleis are a bit more finicky as they age than the copal shutters on yashica -- tolerances on the copals are a titch looser, I think, or something, because they seem to work better than rolleis when they are older.

The lenses are excellent, certainly better than you or I are a photographer. Shoot with confidence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm at a point where I want something clean and that works... the Rollei game gives me a freaking headache.

I'm held to a TLR for personal / philosophical reasons.

After years of using a number of rigs I want a Hadley Pro Bag with my M6 and a TLR (a whole slew of film) lightmeter and that's it... and to always have it with me.

As opposed to my 4x5, 8x10, RB67, 110a, ect etc etc that are so massive I bring them nowhere.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I've had a Yashicamat EM with the Yashinon, a Model D (same as 635 minus the 35mm kit) with the Yashikor triplet and my lady friend has a 'Cord with a Xenar.

The 75mm vs 80mm makes more of a difference than any image quality issues, even the triplet is a great lens shot wide open. Maybe I just have an exceptional copy but it's better than I expected in sharpness, contrast and resolution when I hit focus and use fine grained film. They're all so good it doesn't matter unless it has been monkeyed with.

If you can forgo the crank, you save weight and money and gain reliability. On camera meter adds weight too. Early models definitely built better than the 124G.

Get one that has been recently serviced and don't let it sit on a shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good repair man in his blog mentioned that Y Mats are good until they worn out. So he do not prefer much....

Save and get Rolleiflex or a good Rolleicord pref Vb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    124G is a fine camera. Use it with confidence.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    I've had a Yashicamat EM with the Yashinon, a Model D (same as 635 minus the 35mm kit) with the Yashikor triplet and my lady friend has a 'Cord with a Xenar.

The 75mm vs 80mm makes more of a difference than any image quality issues, even the triplet is a great lens shot wide open. Maybe I just have an exceptional copy but it's better than I expected in sharpness, contrast and resolution when I hit focus and use fine grained film. They're all so good it doesn't matter unless it has been monkeyed with.

If you can forgo the crank, you save weight and money and gain reliability. On camera meter adds weight too. Early models definitely built better than the 124G.

Get one that has been recently serviced and don't let it sit on a shelf.
    few out on the bay serviced by Mark Hamma but a little on the expensive side... like 300-350

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Pick up a Autocord with a broken focus lever at a discount. Send it to Karl Bryan for a CLA and lever replacement. His prices are good, you'll get a CLA'd camera and it will have a robust new focus lever. It may be slightly more than a Yashica but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Edit: I picked up an Autocord like this for $40 locally. I put another ~$140 in to the lever replacement and CLA including shipping both ways. Absolutely killer camera when it came back and good to go for a long time. And Karl had the camera on the way back to me within a day of receiving it. He deserves all the praise he gets.
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 11-30-2013 at 03:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin