Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,588   Online: 1103
      
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,093
    No one should not
    I think those who buy Hasselblads and smash Mamiyas ...
    Rather one should
    I think those who buy Hasselblads and should sell Mamiyas to buy more lenses for said Hasselblads.
    That is what I did.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 12-06-2013 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  2. #42
    wiltw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I really don't give a damn for "sharpness", grain, 100% crops or even whether it's created on film or electronically; the question for me is "what does this photograph do?" not "what's the resolution of this image?"

    Or perhaps I just have a chasm in my understanding?
    A chasm of appreciation, by others! Gone is the appreciation of the fact that 4-6 decades ago the photographic greats and the iconic images that they produced were done with using only the 5-6 lenses offered by the manufacturers for that SLR or RF body or 4x5 camera, using 'fast enough' film to capture the image.

    Instead, with the endless search of more pixels, sharper images at 100%, and more detail resolution, this spills over from the 'which digital camera sensor' obsessive search into the 'which XXmm lens is best' obsessive search discussion, too.
    It is oddly ironic that a generation that is so readily satisfied by the lower audio fidelity of MP3 played thru 3" dock speakers is also so obsessive of the optical quality of their photographic gear! Even more ironic in view of the fact that the modern digital 4K cinema screen shows such easily seen pixels -- and the best home digital projector is only half of that resolution! -- that cannot even begin equal what the digital SLR can capture!
    Last edited by wiltw; 12-06-2013 at 10:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #43
    mweintraub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No one should not

    Rather one should

    That is what I did.
    Yes, I believe the Zeiss glass is nice. But for the price I have a full range kit Bronica SQ-A that would normally equal a single body and one (maybe two) lenses for the Hasselbald.

    I'd love to get my hands on a 500 series to do a side by side compare.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4
    I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. I have read each and everyone with great interest.

    It appears from what everyone has said that my expectations of the 645 over my Nikon D3s may be a little on the high side. having said that, I appreciate that tim and Digital are different mediums and are going to give different results. For the moment, I have decided to borrow the Bronica for a short period of time, shoot some rolls and maybe develop my self and then get them scanned externally.

  5. #45
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    748
    Images
    33
    good scans (imacon/drum/nikon 8/9000/minolta scan multi) from a 645 negative will exceed a 16-24mp DSLR with relative ease in terms of detail and tonality, especially in black and white, at least at the lower end of the ISO scale.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  6. #46
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,244
    Images
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    good scans (imacon/drum/nikon 8/9000/minolta scan multi) from a 645 negative will exceed a 16-24mp DSLR with relative ease in terms of detail and tonality, especially in black and white, at least at the lower end of the ISO scale.
    And, you'd be surprised what the V750 can do with the wet mount kit. It is not as good as the Flextight/Imacon or drum scanners, but closer than you might think to the Nikon and Minolta (not quite there, though, but still very good scans).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    And, you'd be surprised what the V750 can do with the wet mount kit. It is not as good as the Flextight/Imacon or drum scanners, but closer than you might think to the Nikon and Minolta (not quite there, though, but still very good scans).
    It surprises me why Nikon dropped the 9000, everyone I speak to sings its praises

  8. #48
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,093
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    It surprises me why Nikon dropped the 9000, everyone I speak to sings its praises
    Welcome to APUG Ian.

    I don't think that the sales supported continuing the product. I passed on it because I also shoot 120 film and 4"x5" film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,927
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. I have read each and everyone with great interest.

    It appears from what everyone has said that my expectations of the 645 over my Nikon D3s may be a little on the high side. having said that, I appreciate that tim and Digital are different mediums and are going to give different results. For the moment, I have decided to borrow the Bronica for a short period of time, shoot some rolls and maybe develop my self and then get them scanned externally.
    I take what I said in my post all back and apologise. You are still "in there" asking questions. Borrowing the Bronica sounds like a great idea. I have never used a digital camera but I suspect you are right and that unless your prints are going to be very large then you may not get the kind of "Wow" effect from a MF film camera that you were expecting when you posted.

    If at all possible I'd try a B&W film and get prints from a source that can print on traditional silver gelatin paper.

    Let us know your findings

    pentaxuser

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin