Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 976

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

recommendations for a TLR under $250.00

I'm considering upgrading from my Yashica 635, which is in the shop for a CLA. Once I get it back I'll probably run a few rolls through it then start looking for a replacement. I mostly use it for shooting streetscapes, buses and streetcars. So 1/500th of a second is plenty and I know it is the fastest speed possible without going to a Medium format SLR. The high end Rolleis' are out of my price range but maybe a Yashica 124G or something similar. I'mnot interested in any of the Eastern European cameras. So I guess that restricts me to the Yashicas and maybe the Rolleicords. I don't need to stop action so again the 1/500th shutter speed is plenty. I am hoping that whatever I get will have better than average sharp lens.

Any and all recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Mamiya C220 with an 80mm f/2.8 lens and waistlevel finder - KEH has that combination in bargain condition for less than your target price.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 124G is a great camera. A Rolleicord is pretty OK too, so long as it's not an older one. The Va is pretty nice, if you can put up with that damnable EV locked settings lever. The Vb is REALLY nice, but pricey.That's one thing that annoys me to no end on my Hasselblad, the locked together shutter and f/stop. I hate that. I'm afraid to tell you any of these choices would be much better off if you had the shutters serviced. They tend to be inaccurate to a disappointing degree. And that includes Hasselblads ( and just about any other kind of shutter).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm confused, what is the 635 lacking that any other TLR will have?

PS if you do sell it, I would be interested...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mamiyas are terrific cameras. You'll never go wrong with one. Thanks Matt--I had forgotten them entirely. A little on the big heavy side, but a great pick anyway.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Thanks all for your input. I would be a little hesitant to go for the Mamiya models because of the bellows. Are they easy to replace and do they last a long time. What is the difference between the C220 and the C330?. Also what is the availability of the interchangeable lenses, what focal lengths are available, and how are they priced?.

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    belows are high quality, lenses have many versions, price also varies , c220 c330 are more bulky than I thought before I got them

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 330 would really be the better choice. I can't remember the distinctive feature, but I speculate it might have been double-exposure interlock or somesuch important feature. I wouldn't worry much about bellows. I suppose you can get a bad one, but I wouldn't let it deter me. It IS rather larger and more beefy than the 'cords, which are featherweights. But there's not a soul that can say something bad about any Mamiya/Sekor or Mamiya. If they do, they're just kooks.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Hello ttssbbs: thanks for the info. Are they massively bulky or are they just over sized. I won't be doing any fancy on-the-run shooting and most likely be doing hand held in bright lighting conditions and tripod mounting in low light situations.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Mamiya C3 (the older model compared to C220 and C330) and neither of them has any problem with the bellows.
    They're pretty sturdy and I've never heard anyone complaining about them before (and I've read many discussions regarding this kind of cameras).
    There are plenty of lenses, the most common ones being the 65mm, the 80mm, the 135mm and the 180mm.
    Prices are variable, maybe it's worth having a look on the bay and on KEH for reference

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin