Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,816   Online: 856

Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY Camera Question

Hey guys! So I am building a 6x17 camera because, like most of the people who want one, I can't afford to buy one! So I have everything all designed and ready to go except one critical component!!

I do not know where to cut/drill the holes for the frame count window on the back. I need to know where to put the darn holes so I know how far to wind the camera between frames! Anyone have any idea(s) about where I might want them? I can't find any resources on the web about this. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Simplest would probably be to sacrifice a roll to the lords of experimentation and measure the numbering and location on the paper backing itself. That way you have your own physical measurements with which you can be assured.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    If you don't have any duplex paper from an old roll to measure it out carefully, just look at any 6x6 or 6x9 camera. Borrow and measure yourself. It's not as trivial, as people may seem.

My pressure plate (Moskva 5) is 90.8 mm x 62.9mm, holes have 12mm diameter with red windows closer to 10mm diameter.
    If I start measuring from the corner of the plate where my winding knob is (top right part of the camera looking from the lens side or "front"), I'm getting the following:
    6x6 hole center: 36.3 mm horizontally, 31.6mm vertically
    6x9 hole center: 76.5 mm horizontally, 49.3mm vertically
    possible error would be up to 1 mm, but I hope it's close enough.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    subscribed out of pure interest.....what you using for a lens?
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like an interesting project.
    If you pm me an address, I'll send you a backing paper so you don't have to sacrifice a roll.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    According to an old ASA drawing, the window location for a 6x9 camera as viewed from the back is 1.378" to the right of the aperture centerline and .771" below the centerline.

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    According to an old ASA drawing, the window location for a 6x9 camera as viewed from the back is 1.378" to the right of the aperture centerline and .771" below the centerline.
    It's also quite important in which direction the film moves, and I'd say it moves to the left in this drawing. It confuses me more and more.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The way the printing on the backing is oriented, I would think it would NEED to move to the left or else it would be inverted. Of course, having it inverted would be quirky, a non-reflex exposure counter.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I didn't think to indicate that the film does indeed move to the left.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hope these help.

As you are looking at the photos, the 6x17cm window is the top left (closest to the rule).

You need to shoot on frame indicator 2, 5 8 and 11. Seems to me that the height from base is the more important than distance from the side. There is "adequate" room on the film leader to allow quite a degree of lateral location go the viewing hole; however, you need to be reasonably accurate vertically so as to be able to see the film's backing paper.

Let me know if there is any other photos required.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1-23.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	78128

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo1-22.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	78129

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin