Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,518   Posts: 1,572,207   Online: 991

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    This seems to suggest that the Makinas don't have top notch optics. I've seen photos from the Makinas and the new Fuji folders and I definitely prefer the Makina 67/670 rendering. I also prefer that rendering to the Mamiyas (which have always seem clinical to me). Resolution is not the be all end all. And as for build, the Plaubels are a metal brick. As long as you're not dumb about open and closing them to preserve the meter, no issues on build quality. Lastly, these are all cool cameras, but there's also something romantically "White Lines" about whipping out the PM67 for a shot...
    Of course, I will plead guilty to the charge of being emotionally infatuated with the GF670, and thus not entirely objective in my comments. It's just that I have immense respect for a company like Fuji that is willing to take the chance and produce new models of this type of camera in this day and age! No disrespect for the Plaubel intended.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    It's just that I have immense respect for a company like Fuji that is willing to take the chance and produce new models of this type of camera in this day and age!
    I agree completely and hope that others follow suit.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've become very interested in this thread as I'm looking to get a lighter camera then my hasselblad to haul around when backpacking and fishing/hunting in Alaska.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't really get the whole Mamiya build quality complaint: sure, it's not finished like a Leica, but it doesn't need as much shutter service either. I've broken lots of cameras- but haven't yet killed the M7; I've fallen on it, with it, used it in extreme cold, and spraying water. There are many medium format cameras better built (heavy), but I wouldn't want to carry them all day- I've done my share of that too. Personally, I didn't even consider the Makina because it doesn't have the 43mm option, but everyone has their own requirements- they are very different beasts.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Advice needed: Plaubel Makina W67 vs Mamiya 7

My vote is also for the Mamiya 7, I personally only have the 150mm, 65mm, and 43mm lenses I don't have the 80mm or 50mm but I do have them on my RZ67 and those perspectives are great, I chose the others for my Mamiya 7 just to have the opposite lenses, it's worked so far. Anyways I took them all over, including the grand canyon when they got knocked around a lot. Really great, just make sure you have the viewfinder for the 50mm, I got my 43mm without a viewfinder thinking I got a deal on the price and have regretted it ever since.

Mamiya 7 all the way!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How long are your batteries lasting out on hikes/ below freezing temps?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Fresh battery? As long as you aren't doing 1 hour exposures, you'll be good for 4 months easy

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dropped my Mamiya 6 yesterday at the airport! grrr... It was in my coat pocket when I arrived at Narita, and when I took my coat off and set it on my luggage cart it slipped off and fell to the floor. I heard a bit of a clunk but hopefully the coat cushioned the blow. So far everything seems to be in proper working order. (keeping my fingers crossed!)
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I've had really good luck. At least 6 months to a battery, and it doesn't die on me in the cold like my GS-1 used to (same battery, BTW). Certainly in the 10-20F range it hasn't been a problem, I've only used it shortly in colder conditions than that (try reloading film- not so fun).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Yea the only time the battery died early on was when I was shooting for over an hour in -15 degree (Fahrenheit) temperates at the rim of the Grand Canyon. But again NEGATIVE 15 degrees haha

I'll admit by the end of the hour it went from -15 to a balmy -8 but still, pretty good.

~Stone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin