Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,285   Online: 882

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Advice needed: Plaubel Makina W67 vs Mamiya 7

I am getting equipment together to do a documentary project. I will be photographing everything from poorly lit interiors to general urban lanscape. I will use the camera both on and off a tripod. I currently use Leica M, but want better image quality, especially when I need to use higher speed film.

My goal is to have a wide angle and wide normal setup. I am considering two options: trying to find a pair of Plaubel Makina cameras, the W67 and either 67 or 670. Or to get a Mamiya 7/7II with the 50 and 80mm lenses. My original interest in the Plaubel was due to the supposedly better build quality and compactness. The W67 seems to be difficult to find, especially at a reasonable price.

I would appreciate any experiences people have had using the Plaubel Makina W67. I've never seen one. I'm wondering how good the viewfinder is as far as accuracy and quality and how much of view the lens/bellows obstructs.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Arne,

I've sent you a pm. I use a Mamiya 7 II, a Makina 67 and 67W as well as Leica Ms regularly and will be happy to discuss their relative merits etc at length.

Best,
    Helen

Arne,

The M7 is built like a tank. After 4 years dragging it all over the place, including two hiking trips to Israel, I would have no qualms recommending it. The 50mm lens is amazing. I like it better than the 43 as I think the 43 is just a bit too wide.

I have only used the 67 once and can't speak to it but I love my M7II.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Arne,

I´m having the same doubt you had. Can you tell me what you decided and why (and if you´re satisfied)?
    Thanks

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    have you ever considered a mamiya universal? the built-in viewfinder is amazingly accurate. the 50mm comes with an extra viewfinder but still is quite usable.

if 6x6 would be an option, mamiya c330, (relativly) lightwight, cheap, and you see what you get.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to mention that the mamiya 7 needs an external viewfinder with the 50. If 6X6 is an option, mamiya 6? If smaller: bronica rf 645 (45 and 65)?
    Best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want top notch optics I would suggest the Fuji GF670 and GF670W over the Plaubel duo. More modern design, great build and optics that are hard to beat. But it would be awfully expensive!
    The clear advantage of the Mamiya 7 is the exchangeable lenses. But like mentioned above, the Mamiya 6 is even better in terms of compactness and no need for the external VF. Of course that is only relevant if you are okay with 6x6...
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you already use a Leica M you won't be worried by accessory viewfinders, so for lens quality and interchangability, extra image size, overall camera size and handling, the Mamiya 7 ticks as many boxes as there are.

If you have a strong assistant, and want to go bigger to 6x9, the Fuji 690 and GW690 are both relatively cheap, but they are heavy and gigantic (really big), but they are rangefinders, and don't need accessory viewfinders.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    If you want top notch optics I would suggest the Fuji GF670 and GF670W over the Plaubel duo. More modern design, great build and optics that are hard to beat. But it would be awfully expensive!
    This seems to suggest that the Makinas don't have top notch optics. I've seen photos from the Makinas and the new Fuji folders and I definitely prefer the Makina 67/670 rendering. I also prefer that rendering to the Mamiyas (which have always seem clinical to me). Resolution is not the be all end all. And as for build, the Plaubels are a metal brick. As long as you're not dumb about open and closing them to preserve the meter, no issues on build quality. Lastly, these are all cool cameras, but there's also something romantically "White Lines" about whipping out the PM67 for a shot...
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would only consider Plaubel if the main purpose would be portraits or such - the f/2.8 lens has really nice OOF rendering that you will not get with M7. The Bessa III / Fuji gf670 seems to have a bit busy rendering at times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin