Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,245   Online: 808

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

1st shots with Mamiya 140mm Macro on RB67

Lugged my RB67 Pro SD up the hill to do a few test shots with the 140mm f/4.5 Macro C, with extension tube no.1, and some Velvia 50. I love this lens! The Velvia is easy on the eye too. Hope you like them... If only I could put this camera in my pocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grasses orig1200.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	78207

Name:	Grasses2 orig1200.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	78208

Name:	Leaves orig1200.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	649.0 KB 
ID:	78209

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Very nice!

Question, what is the point of the macro lens, I do a lot of macro work but always just use any lens with the extension tubes and the bellows of the camera body... So, what's the lens do differently?

Thanks!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great photos. In wish mine was small too.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stone - You need a technically-minded person to explain that, which I'm not. But, roughly speaking, although the Mamiya 140mm doesn't get in any closer to your subject than any other lens for the same system, it does give a sharper focus as well as a softer transition to out of focus areas - or so I read. I'd be happy for someone else who knows what they are talking about to chime in...all I know is that it gives a nicer (the best word I can think of right now) image than any other lens I have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeff - Your what?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, you mean the camera?! Doh! Not sure what you were talking about for a second there!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Oh, you mean the camera?! Doh! Not sure what you were talking about for a second there!
    Not many wish THAT was smaller....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Very nice!

Question, what is the point of the macro lens, I do a lot of macro work but always just use any lens with the extension tubes and the bellows of the camera body... So, what's the lens do differently?

Thanks!
    Stone,
    Most lenses have a curved field of focus. Macro (or as is technically correct, Micro) lenses are generally designed to have a flat field of focus, in addition to having fewer optical problems (such as chromatic aberation for one possible issue) when focused closely. This is a gross generalization, so there will always be exceptions, but I know that you have experience in using the google for a better explanation than mine.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    Stone,
    Most lenses have a curved field of focus. Macro (or as is technically correct, Micro) lenses are generally designed to have a flat field of focus, in addition to having fewer optical problems (such as chromatic aberation for one possible issue) when focused closely. This is a gross generalization, so there will always be exceptions, but I know that you have experience in using the google for a better explanation than mine.
    +1

True macro lenses are optimized for close work. Non-macro lenses are optimized for farther distances.

The Mamiya 140mm C lens is a true macro lens. The adjustable floating element means that it also performs quite well at farther distances.

In the 35mm world, you have to be careful. There are lenses out there that are labelled "macro" which more properly should be labeled "can work close".

Flat-field performance matters the most for flat subjects.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin