Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 852

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you want just one lens and no accessories, almost anything (a 'blad-style SLR, a TLR, an RF) will go in terms of quality and portability. But if you start extending your system (by lenses, prisms, film holders etc.), almost everything tends to be too bulky. My choice for a travel camera was Mamiya 6, because:
    - it has interchangeable lenses (unlike Playbel Makina 67, Bessa III)
    - it has only tree lenses, so even affected with GAS I can't get more
    - same for other accessories
    - in does not need external view finders for any lens (unlike Mamiya 7)
    - it folds a bit
    - a set consisting of a body, lenses and some filters fits (OK, barely) to a small shoulder bag, while my Bronica SQ-Ai set requires quite large backpack (have I already mentioned GAS?)
    - I can mount it on my lightest tripod
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I took my C220 two summer ago for my trip to Italy and France. It was a little chunky but the pics I got from it was fantastic. Or go with a Rolleiflex. Those cameras are Compact dynamo's!! I would of taken one of those if I would of had them. The yashica are close to same size as Rollei's. like the 635 has gotten high marks. The biggest thing on any camera is to make sure that it is in good working order so you don't have any issues.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    another plus of the |RZ is: ehen on a cruise,you can anchor the ship any place you like.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would decide based on if you will be using a tripod or not. If you are bringing a tripod, I don't think you can beat one of the 6x6 or 6x4.5 SLRs (after a lot of debating, I am about to take a Hasselblad on a large trip). If you don't want to bring a tripod, you'd be better suited with a TLR/RF. Personally, I'd prefer a TLR, but that's really just a taste thing. You can spend a ton or relatively little on either, but if you get a cheap-o old TLR make sure it's in good working order before any trips (I speak from the experience-- it's really no fun to have your primary camera fritz out on you mid trip).

If weight/flexibility is of paramount importance, I suspect the fixed lens 645 RF's have the edge, but I don't have any experience with them. I don't like cameras that take batteries. Fuji 645zi has a fixed zoom lens and comes in under 2lbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zeiss Ikonta or Lumiere

Go with the Lumiere, it was French made, takes 6X9mm on 120 film. The Ikonta has faster shutter, but also 6X9mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have traveled with a Crown Graphic, the Pentax 645, the Rolleiflex K4B, a Fuji GL690 and a folder. After traveling with all of them and looking back at my pictures, I will take a quality folder every time. A quality folder does not mean new and expensive. As for the tripod, I carry one of those as well and folders work on tripods as well.

The only thing you will miss is the ability to change lenses. But you would be surprised how much you can crop, and still enlarge, a 6x9 negative. And a wide angle can be quite successfully mimicked by leveling the camera on a good tripod and then taking 3 panorama shots that are stitched later on.

Shooter
    Multi Format

My three travel cameras.

1. Is a Franka Solida ll, Ennagon 75mm 3.5, Prontor SVS shutter (6X6)
    2. Agfa Isolette L, Agfa Color Apotar 85mm 4.5, Pronto shutter (6X6 +)
    3. Universal Roamer ll, 100mm 4.5, Universal Syncromatic shutter (6X9)

All three take great pics. They fit in one small camera bag with film, filters, hoods, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-14 029.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had my Zeiss Klio 645 out today. Used a rangefinder to get the distances. Doesn't get more portable than a folder shirt pocket camera. Can't wait to see how my pics turn out... Been 20 years since this old lady was out for a walk.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't ever owned or used a Hassy or Rollei so I can't really say anything about them. But Fuji rangefinders are generally a great value. The only ones that are expensive are the current GF models, but then again you definitely get what you pay for with those.

My personal choice for light and compact 120 is always either the GF670 or the Mamiya 6. I love both cameras very much!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've traveled with a Speed Graphic with a 127mm lens and 4 Grafmatics, 2 loaded with HP5 and 2 loaded with Portra 400. And i've also traveled with a Seagul TLR with Fomapan 100. Just depends on where I'll be going, what I'll be doing and if I'll ever get a chance to go there again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin