Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,168   Online: 874

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I figured as much with the focal lengths re: "numbers". I was looking as well towards the 350mm or 500mm, but perhaps 500mm is a bit to extreme, but I work on a ship south bound to the Antarctic and I really like shooting icebergs and sometimes we just don't get that close to really big ones and 150mm just doesn't cut it in this case. a 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L USM lens on a Canon 5D is great, but I no longer have a digital camera and want to get the same reach out of film. is 500mm too extreme in this case? It's a lot of lens and not exactly cheap.. I don't know anywhere even interstate where I could borrow a 500mm or even 350mm lens from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    ... The 250mm is relatively compact, and isn't that heavy. It's mostly empty space surrounded by metal. ...
    Gosh... you might change your opinion after handling the lens; I know I did. I can only use a 250 if on tripod. I find it big and heavy, but quite useful for the reason you describe - greater reach when a greater reach is advantageous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... The 250mm is relatively compact, and isn't that heavy. It's mostly empty space surrounded by metal. The 350mm starts to get ridiculous in terms of size and weight.
    I agree about the weight of the 250mm and the 350mm. I do not find the 250mm cumbersome and I do not have a problem hand holding it for 1/500 second and 1/250 second. I would use a tripod if the shutter speed was 1/125 second or longer.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use long lenses more often than not, but once things get too long, you get plane of focus issues with anything even remotely toward the
    foreground, and the only way to handle that is with tilt control on a view camera, so that's my normal equipment. But the other day I was out with my 300mm Pentax 6x7 telephoto, since the day started out a bit too windy for view camera use. We still have a bit of haze in the air, so dealing with distant subjects required some strong filters to cut thru that. It's a nice lens for wildlife or quick bad weather shots from the highway. Another reason I took along the 6x7 is that I was also shooting inside a hillside train tunnels the same day, which is still in use,
    so I wanted to ability to get out fast once the rails get a bit of buzz to them. There is actually spare room to stand against a wall, but
    prefer a bit more distance between me and a hundred stacked cargo containers whizzing by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Hasselblad 903 SWC and the Hasselblad 503 CX with the 50mm and 80mm lenses the most for landscape and architecture photography. I prefer to move in close to eliminate extraneous things and use a wide angle lens. The fact the the SWC is rectilinearly correct is very useful.

I almost never hand-hold my Hasselblad, so the size and weight of the 250mm for such is irrelevant to me. I will on occasion hand-hold the 80mm or 50mm, but it's the odd grab shot. Now that the OP mentions that he's shooting Antarctic icebergs from a ship, the 350mm doesn't seem unreasonable. It's a big, heavy lens, and I've handled but never used one. I've never seen a Hasselblad 500mm, but I'd imagine they're not common. The 350mm shows up on KEH's site once in a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never seen a Hasselblad 500mm, but I'd imagine they're not common. The 350mm shows up on KEH's site once in a while.
    Kinda like hand holding a howitzer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just looking over the prices on the bay... the price is pretty much the same for 350 or 500mm... seeing as there is a considerable difference in the focal length, would it be a safer option just to jump straight on the 500mm? It is a pretty big lens though!

also, I'm assuming that with a 350mm and longer you're going to need to have the tripod mounted on the lens rather than the body, how does the camera/lens hold up with that weight where they join? has it been known to damage the locking mechanism at all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This landscape was taken with a 250mm lens at f/11 at 1/250 second with Ektachrome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I´m a fan of using longer focal lengths (especially in the 120mm - 250mm range) for landscapes and architecture as well. However, having a 150mm, 180mm and 250mm I would not recommend getting all of them (Please don´t ask me now why then it is the case with me ;-) ) In my view it would be sensible to have either the 150mm and 250mm or only the 180mm (maybe paired with a 100mm or 120mm then). I have no use for all of these lenses and I think I might sell some of them next year...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin