Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,000   Online: 826

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

KEH has both the 350 and 500 in stock. Consider the size of filters you might need . . .

I'd imagine that yes, the 350 and 500 have tripod mounts. The Hasselblad bodies are so light and relatively fragile that I can't imagine another configuration. There's a lot of metal in the big lenses.

Have you thought that 35mm might be a better option for your needs? Faster lenses, less bulk and bother, 36 exposures to a roll, etc.

Yes, I know bigger is better, but shooting from the deck of a moving ship with a huge f/5.6 or f/8 lens begins to make me wonder. You could pick up a bunch of used Nikon or Canon gear and some nice lenses for the equivalent expenditure, including backups!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Have you thought that 35mm might be a better option for your needs? Faster lenses, less bulk and bother, 36 exposures to a roll, etc.
    TREASON! Go from a Hasselblad to 35mm! Are you daft?? Go wash your mouth out with mouthwash and stand in the corner for a month!

After composing on a large viewfinder, how could one pick out the subject on a 35mm postage stamp size viewfinder?

Lose the ability to change film mid roll? Oh the insanity of it all!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post

Have you thought that 35mm might be a better option for your needs?
    Are you sick in the head?

Ha, but no. I don't think I'd have much a problem with an f/8 lens if I got some 400 or 800 speed film. Especially down here where it's so bright. The 150 is a nice lens but it really doesn't have the reach I want, I wouldn't get a 180mm unless I was actually trading up the 150. The next step would be 350 or 500 I think, I don't think 250 would quite cut it, but again what would I know :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Possibly the best accessory on a ship with a Hasselblad and a heavy lens between Tassie and Antartica, would be a Miller Fluid Head atop a decent tripod; with the tripod strapped to something of course.

Mick.

My apologies, gentlemen. I don't even use my 35mm gear anymore. I should know better!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I use my 150 on the Hasselblad quite a lot, both for landscapes and other kinds of things. If your vision works in a "less is more" sort of way, it's a good way to go. If you want to be very selective in your compositions, a 250 might be a better choice as an addition to your 150, rather than the 180. Aside from a converter, another good way to find out might be to rent one or both.
    +1 My thoughts exactly. I use my 250 as much as I use my 150. Get a 250 as they are cheap!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alex,

Have you considered the Mutar 2x to go with the 150? You would have a 150 and 300 that way. I have the 50, 80, 150, 250 and 350. When I travel I take the 50, 150 and 2x. Mine is super sharp and since I predominately use a tripod the 2 stops are not a big deal (I don't use the 2x with the 50). The 350 is a big lens and a hefty tripod is best. As I mentioned on another page I recently used the 2x with the 350 and the subject was a landscape about a half mile across a bay. Even in a scanned negative 7 inch print as a proof the details are there.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you consider that mf lenses translate to roughly half of 35mm lenses' angle of view, a 250mm lens would be 125mm in 35. That's not much in the way of telephoto even though it's a lot of lens in size and weight. I use a 300mm for my P67, and don't think of it as a really long lens. The only ones bigger for that system are 400 and 800...HUGE lenses, but just 200 and 400 mm's in pulling power compared to 35mm. Get the 250!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No the 250mm for a Hasselblad translates to approximately 150mm in 35mm. One has to compare the horizontal dimension since the shape is different the diagonal comparison does not apply.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 150mm has been practically living on my camera the last 3 days. I also really like how it renders a scene through the viewfinder (of course, will have to see how they turn out on print) I almost prefer how it makes a landscape look over the 80mm, but I could just be seeing through rose coloured glasses (or a red25). I think I've found my new favourite way of shooting scenery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin