Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,391   Online: 922

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a older Mamyia 6, from the 50's, other than no built in meter and needing to cock the shutter, the 75 3.5 lens is very good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For sake of your photography , choose lenses not bodies. If you want to throw the camera , buy ww2 or vietnam soldier camera.
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 12-15-2013 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    THAT'S an idea; Kodak Medalists are very durable and were used by the US Navy in WW II, although a late '40s Medalist II would be even better. They take 60 film though, so you'd have to re-spool 120, or have the camera converted to 120. I have one; great camera, with an extremely good lens, but I still wouldn't literally through it around and the stories of their having been used as weapons in hand-to-hand combat are probably apocryphal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I have a older Mamyia 6, from the 50's, other than no built in meter and needing to cock the shutter, the 75 3.5 lens is very good.
    Fantastic camera but he said no folder for some strange reason...

RR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bob,

I saw few medalist print scans and awesome results. Ektar isnt it ? For two grand or for 200 dollars , I would not use a japanese window glass at my photography. There are magnificient cameras you can insert an ektar , dagor even an cooke for that price with the camera. This is art not buying an old car from a gallery.

These 20 dollar nikon , 1500 dollar fuji people have no idea about us made hotrod car or 1600 cc toyota difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I would not use a japanese window glass at my photography.
    I don't know why you think Japanese lenses are inferior. It's something you repeat often, but it has no basis in truth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Any recommendations? SLRs, TLRs, RF's, and folders... I want a small/compact 120 camera that I can carry on me at all times and "throw" around. I want something that is durable and has focusing abilities. I don't have a fixed budget, less than $2k I guess, and I just need one lens.
    Hasselblad will do that for you plus you will have money left over to buy additional film backs allowing you to change from color to black & white or to change film speed midroll.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nobody could claim a japanese lens is as good as cooke, dagor , protar , ektar. I can buy these lenses for less than 1000 dollars. They are hotrod , 3 times faster car than the ferrari. Why I would pay 2000 dollars to a fuji , 1600 cc toyota ? Can you see the same dimensionality , colors , relief , depth , tonality, noise at a japanese glass ? They are wrong to my eye. Kodak , Chance brothers for Cooke , Schott for Zeiss , Dagor , Leica were the largest glass makers and developers in the last century. I did not hear anything for japan , they copied everything. I love japan most , I love japanese people most , I am in to their poetry , literature , religion , architecture , woodworking , steel making , pottery, textiles , foods , botanics , martial arts , cinema and everything is the best quality but I cant accept their lenses and films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't know why you think Japanese lenses are inferior. It's something you repeat often, but it has no basis in truth.
    +1

The contrast may differ partially due to difference coatings but the best Japanese lenses are comparable to the best European lenses. Comparing equals to equals arbitrarily claiming the Japanese lenses are inferior is factually incorrect and cannot be argued by testing.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Can you see the same dimensionality , colors , relief , depth , tonality, noise at a japanese glass ?
    Yes, I can. Last Spring, I bought a Fuji GW690II. It may have the sharpest lens I own, including Kodaks, Schneiders, Rodenstocks, etc. Your anti- Japanese lens bias has no real world basis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin