Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,877   Online: 939

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I found japanese synths and amps inferior also. Sharpest , more contrasty lens is not better. I did see only one nikon picture in my life is good. And I saw few good pictures with mamiya and pentaxes in the gallery but they were like laser show and they cant take a smooth weston like skin tone. Have EW ,WHJ, AA ever used a japanese lens ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would get an inexpensive camera ... something less than $10, if you plan to "throw it around." That way, when it's damaged, your loss is small.

Probably a folding camera with a triplet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I found japanese synths and amps inferior also. Sharpest , more contrasty lens is not better. I did see only one nikon picture in my life is good. And I saw few good pictures with mamiya and pentaxes in the gallery but they were like laser show and they cant take a smooth weston like skin tone. Have EW ,WHJ, AA ever used a japanese lens ?
    There was a time (pre/post WWII) when Japanese goods were viewed as cheap copies, much as a lot of Chinese goods are today. But, that hasn't been the case for many decades. Their quality is every bit as good as the Germans, now.

As for why AA, EW, and WHJ didn't use Japanese lenses, I'd guess it's because there weren't any Japanese large format lenses when they purchased theirs. Or, if there were, they didn't find their way to the US. Just guesses... Maybe someone knowledgeable about Japanese photo history can chime in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Nobody could claim a japanese lens is as good as cooke, dagor , protar , ektar. I can buy these lenses for less than 1000 dollars. They are hotrod , 3 times faster car than the ferrari. Why I would pay 2000 dollars to a fuji , 1600 cc toyota ? Can you see the same dimensionality , colors , relief , depth , tonality, noise at a japanese glass ? They are wrong to my eye. Kodak , Chance brothers for Cooke , Schott for Zeiss , Dagor , Leica were the largest glass makers and developers in the last century. I did not hear anything for japan , they copied everything. I love japan most , I love japanese people most , I am in to their poetry , literature , religion , architecture , woodworking , steel making , pottery, textiles , foods , botanics , martial arts , cinema and everything is the best quality but I cant accept their lenses and films.

Have you used a lens from Japan?

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my 500cm has survived everything I've thrown at it. It got CLA/unjammed after purchase (came to me jammed from keh) and has been incredibly reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Fantastic camera but he said no folder for some strange reason...

RR
    The reason why I said no folder is because I don't like the ergonomics. I had two solid folders (S. Isolette and S. Ikonta) but the ergonomic just got to me.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I would get an inexpensive camera ... something less than $10, if you plan to "throw it around." That way, when it's damaged, your loss is small.

Probably a folding camera with a triplet.
    Less than $10 is a bit extreme!
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure I can call it a "throw around" camera but my Fuji GA645 is a very handy little 120 camera with a nice sharp 60mm lens. Autofocus and auto exposure though you can go manual for both if you want. It is just about as close as you can get to a point and shoot in medium format. I love mine, and most people who own them feel the same.

It is certainly not a Rolleiflex by any means, but it is a very good camera that is always nice to have handy. I own a very nice Rolleiflex and when I have time to work with it I will take it. But the Fuji GA645 is for those times when you may not have the leisure to work slow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    The reason why I said no folder is because I don't like the ergonomics. I had two solid folders (S. Isolette and S. Ikonta) but the ergonomic just got to me.
    Ikonta was my hunch, when you said ergonomics and folder in the same sentence. Bessa II is really better in that department.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Ikonta was my hunch, when you said ergonomics and folder in the same sentence. Bessa II is really better in that department.
    How is the Bessa II different? The Bessa II is the old German one and the Bessa III is the GF670, right?
    Michael | tumblr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin