Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,577   Online: 936

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70mm Film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting and I can see some point for some people, probably not for me.

And no I've not seen the price of IR820 but considering I stocked my freezer with it when it was discontinued - well for me anyway, something like 20 rolls each 35mm and 120 and two boxes of 4x5 - maybe I ought to take a look! Might be sitting on a gold mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Yeah, I did buy that... Didn't realize they were cassettes (like 35mm cassettes - that makes more sense then...) and that they go in a film back. That's pretty convenient actually. Other than the developing, it sounds like 70mm is more like what I want: more shots between reloading...
    Make sure they all have spools in them. You need a spool per canister.

What camera do you have? Backs are readily available for RB/RZ, Hasselblad (500) and Graflok (2x3 and 4x5) but I'm not sure what else, probably there are backs for the other modular system cameras (Pentax and Bronica 645s) but I haven't looked.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a Hasselblad 500C c. 1968. I believe there is at least one spool. Where would I get more if they are missing? Is it just a regular 120 spool or is it some ultra-expensive part?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a different kind of spool, longer (70mm!) and with much bigger flanges in order to hold 5m of film instead of about 0.8m. They're normally in the canisters because there's no reason to separate them. Not available separately - they just come with the canisters.

Canisters in good condition with spool usually sell for $6-$15 each on eBay, they seem to come up once every week or two. And if you buy film in units of 15' to 20', it comes in a canister ready to use and you keep the canister for reloading and reuse.

You may even get lucky and score a canister or two when you buy your back (A70).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 70mm back took cassettes could take about 15 feet of film and you could get about 50-60 shots per cassette. one daylight load cassette had the film and an empty cassette would be the takeup spool. They made nikkor tanks and spools for development. You could get everything you needed just like 35mm or 120. It's nice to be able to shoot 60 frames without reloading. You could get film in cassettes directly from kodak, or buy 100 foot rolls and
    bulk load you own with a alden bulk loader

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used 70mm film since about 1978. The Hasselblad casettes *ARE* Kodak casettes. Kodak used to sell 70mm 15' pre-loaded casettes. On occasion you can find an expired roll of 15' 70mm film that the seller doesn't realize that the film has a new cassette inside. I have bought a number of them like this just to get the cassette.

I have a Mamiya 6x7 70mm back as well as a couple of Hasselblad A70 backs. You get 70 frames 6x6 with the A70 back. Back in the day when Tri-X was available in 70mm 100' rolls I would load up an A70 back with Tri-X and with my Hasselblad & 80mm lens hit the streets. Never had to change backs!

I have the Alden 70mm bulk loader, a 70mm SS reel and a homemade daylight developing tank that I made out of a daylight print processing tube. Drying the film is a pain! At frame 35 I shoot a blank frame so I can cut the film into 7.5' lengths so that it will hang in my dark room to dry.
    Last edited by aoresteen; 12-21-2013 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    70mm film came with TypeII perfferations and unperferated. 99% of the 70mm color film sold on eBay is unperfferated and will not work in a Hasselblad A70 back. The Hasselblad backs CAN be modified to use unperf film; I bought the parts 12 years ago but never have used it.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Alden 70mm bulk loader, a 70mm SS reel and a homemade daylight developing tank that I made out of a daylight print processing tube. Drying the film is a pain! At frame 35 I shoot a blank frame so I can cut the film into 7.5' lengths so that it will hang in my dark room to dry.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a pic or link to that Alden? All my searches turn up the 35mm version. It would be fantastic to see your home made developing tank too.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some years ago, I was attracted and bought a bunch of stuff because of one possibility. 70mm B/W infrared was common 15 years ago. I wanted to dedicate a Mamiya Universal to infrared and even did some machine work to get a Graflex 70mm back to fit. Alas, I never got the project completed, and in the meantime, the IR film which doesn't age well at all, is probably no longer an option.

At work we had a Photosonics 14S camera that would take full frame square (14 perfs) images at 5 frames per second. It used Pentax 67 glass and is a beast to hand hold! This year I finally flushed out all of our old film cams except the 14S. Cannot bring myself to let it go. Think, 5 Nikon quality frames per second but in larger than 120 size!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickth View Post
    I have the Alden 70mm bulk loader, a 70mm SS reel and a homemade daylight developing tank that I made out of a daylight print processing tube. Drying the film is a pain! At frame 35 I shoot a blank frame so I can cut the film into 7.5' lengths so that it will hang in my dark room to dry.

Do you have a pic or link to that Alden? All my searches turn up the 35mm version. It would be fantastic to see your home made developing tank too.[/QUOTE]

Sure! Here ya go:

The Alden 70mm bulk loader:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alden 70 bulk 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	78918

Name:	Alden 70 bulk 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	78919

My home made 70mm tank. I bought the 70mm 15' reel first and then went looking for something to put it in. It fit in an old Omega Chromega processing tube/tanks for prints. It's about 6 7/8" inside diameter. Takes 96oz of developer

Name:	70mm tank 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	78920

The problem with the tanks was I could not invert it for agitation or all of the developer would spill out. I had cut down a 120 16oz SS tank to fit a 127 (46mm) reel and I had saved the cut off SS ring. I simply epoxied it to the top of the Chromega tanks and a standard Kinderman tank top will keep the liquid in.

I had to cut down the tank as it was quite tall. More epoxy and silicone sealer. I made this tank around 1988 and it's still going strong.

Name:	70mm tank 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	78921

Name:	70mm tank 3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	78922

Name:	70mm tank 4.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	78923

I also mad a 70mm reel that will fit in a standard 16ox SS tank. I took a 35mm 36exp reel and cut it in half. Using a dowel, I spaced the reel ends 70mm apart and epoxied the whole thing. Did this in 1978 to process 26 exp 6x6 frames in 16oz of developer. Works well

Name:	70mm homemade reel 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	78924
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin