Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,784   Online: 876

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70mm Film

Shooter
    35mm

70mm Film

So I picked up those 70mm Hasselblad backs that were for sale here in the classifieds and wondered a few things.

Other than NOS on eBay, is anyone still producing 70mm? I assume the backs take perfed 70mm, rather than non perfed? Finally (and most importantly) - how will I load the darn things? Is there such a thing as a bulk 70mm loader? Once loaded and exposed, I assume there is a special developing tank?

Sorry for all the questions - just figured this would be the place to ask and get right answers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak used to make several of their aerial films in 70mm but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Agfa does make several of their aerial films in 70mm, but, it's expensive and hard to find. And you can buy 70mm bulk loaders and processing tanks.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford had 70mm on their special order list this time. Don't know if enough was ordered to reach the minimum requirement. The cost was 4-6 times what I paid when I got it from kodak ten years ago.( My problem- I just have to get over what things are costing now) Keith Canham (canham camera) is doing special orders with Kodak, and you could ask him about 70mm. If you do I would likely get a few rolls. With enough other people there might be enough to get an order. there are 70mm bulk loaders out there. I have one and they work well. I don't remember whether the 70mm back needed the perforations or not. If it doesn't need it go for the non perf.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have no personal experiences with this size of film, but I know Ilford does make it at least once a year. See: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...y-limited.html for info on the 2013 ULF run.

Also Maco and Rollei seem to do so, see: http://www.macodirect.de/advanced_se...47f9ca&x=0&y=0

I hope this helps...
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the risk of being a party pooper, what exactly is the point? I get that it's wider than 120 so provides for a slightly larger negative but it doesn't seem enough larger to offset the trouble and expense to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    At the risk of being a party pooper, what exactly is the point? I get that it's wider than 120 so provides for a slightly larger negative but it doesn't seem enough larger to offset the trouble and expense to me.
    You can use it in 116/616 folders, if you have a source for backing paper and spools.

And if you are shooting a lot (think weddings or school photos) it is really convenient.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can see both of those, but the first doesn't apply to a back for a Hassleblad. I can see the second though paying the premium for Portra 220 is a lot simpler - probably still not nearly as many shots though. How many shots do you get from a loaded 70mm back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too failed to see the point of 70mm, especially when the shutter opening of my 6x6 cameras is still only 54mm, having 70mm film only means you get more black around the edges (although, to be fair, that might make handling/scanning a bit easier, but it wouldn't fit my enlarger).
    Only for RB/RZ67 does it make sense, and only if the film roller goes the 'other' way and you get more shots on the roll.

It only makes sense if the film is cheaper, ie there's a guy selling 100' of Ektachrome (exp 2004) for about $100 on fleabay right now. If that's all it sells for that's gotta work out to the equivalent of a few dollars a roll of 120.
    But if you're buying new, like on the Ilford special order (I didn't, but i'm pretty sure there was enough to fulfill), maybe it's worth it to you to shoot old 116/616 cameras. Otherwise, if it's on a hassy, and you're just paying more for extra edges, yeah, I don't see the point.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Explain 70mm film to me thread...

If you bought what I think you bought, they're canisters and not a back. You also need a back that is compatible with whatever medium-format camera you have, into which you insert those canisters once they're loaded. Or you can shoot 6x7 on 70mm in a 4x5 camera using a Linhof Super-Rollex back.

While the film is wider than 120, the extra width is basically all taken up with sprocket holes so the image size will be the same as the normal image size of whatever camera you're using. The point of 70mm is that you get many many shots (at least 55 of 6x7, about 70 of 6x6) on a roll, not that the image is bigger, unless you're buying unperforated film (quite hard to find) and slitting/respooling to strange formats like 616, in which case you don't need these canisters and wouldn't be asking these questions... I believe the main market for this stuff was aerial photo mapping/reconnaissance and bulk portraiture.

As to price, I shoot mostly 2405 for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a typical 120 roll. And it looks/behaves just like SFX200, which it's about 1/6 the price of here. Similarly for IR - have you seen the price of IR820 since its discontinuation? Then see the price of 70mm IR400 is about 1/2 the price of plain B&W film, even if its spectral sensitivity is not quite as good as IR820.

Developing 70mm is a real hassle; you can get a Nikor tank that will take 5m of it in one batch, but they're expensive and hard to find. Developing 70mm on Paterson (or Jobo) Reels - and I do that.

My homemade 70mm loader, or you can pay about $300 for the Auden 70mm loader if you can find one.
    Last edited by polyglot; 12-16-2013 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I did buy that... Didn't realize they were cassettes (like 35mm cassettes - that makes more sense then...) and that they go in a film back. That's pretty convenient actually. Other than the developing, it sounds like 70mm is more like what I want: more shots between reloading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin