Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,675   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Alpa shutter release on Graflex XL

Right then, bit of an odd questions:

I purchased an Alpa style shutter button, like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251389779...84.m1439.l2649

To used on my Graflex XL. It does not fit, far too loose, the thread of the shutter button rattles around in the Graflex.

So basically, other than glue, or maybe building up the thread to accept the Alpa shutter release, is there any other type of 'thread expander' I can use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If yours has straight threads like the one in the auction's picture, it won't work.

Shutter release cables are TAPERED threads(similar to a cone shape). See the picture below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141921d1348939773-shutter-release-cable-imgp5579-.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	78575

the person who has made these didn't make them correctly, that's IF they are intending on selling them to people who want to use standard-type shutters/cameras.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    If yours has straight threads like the one in the auction's picture, it won't work.

Shutter release cables are TAPERED threads(similar to a cone shape). See the picture below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141921d1348939773-shutter-release-cable-imgp5579-.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	78575

the person who has made these didn't make them correctly, that's IF they are intending on selling them to people who want to use standard-type shutters/cameras.

-Dan
    I believe Alpa cameras have a non-standard version of the thread, I do have a regular tapered thread release, but it's pretty much junk, it fits, but that's about it. I was hoping to use this much more handsome Alpa style one. I had my suspicions that it may not fit, but I took a chance.

So I would like to consider ways of making it fit, after all, it's just a metal pin with a button on top in a little cone. I've seen thread adaptors, but nothing which look like it would fit. I don't mind making something myself (or at least trying), but if someone else has ideas or thoughts, they are most welcome.

Cheers

Garry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP, please educate me a little. Where on the camera is the shutter release?

I ask because I've always thought that the XL has no body release and that, depending on the lens, the release cable screws into the shutter or into a block on the front of the barrel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    OP, please educate me a little. Where on the camera is the shutter release?

I ask because I've always thought that the XL has no body release and that, depending on the lens, the release cable screws into the shutter or into a block on the front of the barrel.
    I have attached a picture showing as best I can the location of the shutter release thread mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131218_083008.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DIY plate.
    It's a 90 degree bend and a bit of shaping. The hardest part will be going to the hobby shop to buy a piece of angled aluminum. Drill & tap for the thread you need.

Option 2..cut a piece of aluminum to cover the foot, drill & tap to size.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    DIY plate.
    It's a 90 degree bend and a bit of shaping. The hardest part will be going to the hobby shop to buy a piece of angled aluminum. Drill & tap for the thread you need.

Option 2..cut a piece of aluminum to cover the foot, drill & tap to size.
    Hi John,
    I think that's the best plan, the more I look at it, the more I think that I should just cut a bit of metal to fit. My skills and equipment are not up to much, but I think this is within my capability!

Cheers

Garry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Garry. Fellow XL user here. I've had to replace the cable holder on my 58mm and found that 1/16 inch aluminum stock doesn't hold the cable well enough. Using 1/16 inch angle aluminum tapped with straight threads didn't hold the tapered universal cable for long before stripping out. I need the stock part or tapered thread in steel. You might consider thicker stock (1/8th inch) even though it looks as if your Alpa style button has straight threads. I believe the old Nagel Kodaks sometimes had a tapered thread button like the Alpa. Good luck finding one of those, though. BTW is that a Grimes focus ring in the photo? If so, can you enlighten some of us as to how it performs in colder weather?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been looking at that pic you have and the whole thing looks pretty simple (to me anyway). It would seem that having the shutter release button on the lens there would be very inconvenient anyway. You'd have to reach around to the front of the camera and fumble around. Not a good prospect for steady shooting. Assuming that what I'm seeing is correct, it looks like a simple L shaped piece of metal that has a hole in it. The hole looks smaller than a conventional cable release, which is in your favor. What I would do is use a cheap cable release and screw that thing in there snugly. The tapered threads on the cable release should give you a good compression fit. Then run the release end to the top of the camera and attach it there by some simple means, giving you a shutter release in a "normal" location.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the image. As I thought, not part of the camera, part of the lens assembly. The 58/5.6 Technikon for some Linhof Technikas is the same lens with the same infernal #00 shutter and same cable release "socket." You might want to ask Bob Salomon at HP Marketing whether the official Linhof part is still available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin