Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Century graphic parts

Does anyone know where I could locate a focusing back( glass frame hood and all) for my century graphic. I'm having a hard time finding one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinshawsteele View Post
    Does anyone know where I could locate a focusing back( glass frame hood and all) for my century graphic. I'm having a hard time finding one
    What you want is a focusing panel. The panel you want fits a 2x3 Graflok back, as used on your Century and some 2x3 Crown and Pacemaker Speed Graphics.

Your best bet is to look on eBay, at least twice a week. They show up from time to time. Also look for a parts camera.

Also post a WTB in the want to buy section here and in the for sale/wanted section on the LF forum (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...or-Sale-Wanted).
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 12-17-2013 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply. Ill keep an eye on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just did this last month, like Mr. Fromm says the ebay search key is "graflex focusing panel" and the statistics you need are "2x3 Graflok back."

In fact, this http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLOK-FOCU...item5401f8ea48 is kind of what you're looking for. If you'd like to compare measurements from one on a live camera, PM and I can grab a tape measure. It's on the back of this '62 that I own:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_2s.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	78589

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Graflex back that I bought accidentally off fleabay thinking it was 4x5, but it's closer to 6x9. Either way, it's no use to me. It's got a springy-out hood as well.
    When I get home I can photograph and measure it if you're interested...

edit: yeah, mine looks like that fleabay link. I don't expect it to go for much more than it is atm. But if you miss out on that one I can sell you mine...
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 12-17-2013 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a great comparison. Compared to an exposed 6x9 negative the ground glass is a decent fit, with a little margin for error on mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiithulhu View Post
    I just did this last month, like Mr. Fromm says the ebay search key is "graflex focusing panel" and the statistics you need are "2x3 Graflok back."

In fact, this http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLOK-FOCU...item5401f8ea48 is kind of what you're looking for. If you'd like to compare measurements from one on a live camera, PM and I can grab a tape measure. It's on the back of this '62 that I own:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_2s.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	78589
    Not kind of, it is the very thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just measured mine (in case there's more than one version almost the same).
    GG is 100 x 75mm opening.
    Overall it's 155 x 101mm (141mm without the two "tabs").
    The hood is 118 x 83 x 88 by itself.

But compared to the pictures on that fleabay listing, mine does NOT have those two silver levers top and bottom, no tabs top/bottom centre, nor the cutout on the end where it goes under.
    I can't quite tell from the pics, but are they just a smaller version of a graflok/spring back?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not kind of, it is the very thing.
    Yes, turns out that it is I wanted to verify part # before saying so straight out, don't want to give someone new to baby graphics a bad start with a part I wasn't 100% sure about yet.

Not that I don't trust ebay sellers of specialty items but I don't trust ebay sellers of specialty items.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I can't quite tell from the pics, but are they just a smaller version of a graflok/spring back?
    Graflok and spring (also called Graphic) backs are very very different. Thinking they're the same will get you into trouble.

The Graflok back's focusing panel is removable; that's what those levers with springs and a hook at the end are for. The focusing panel also lifts up to allow insertion of sheet film holders and insertion type roll holders. The focusing panel is removed to attach a Graflok accessory such as a roll holder (not insertion type).

The spring back's focusing panel is permanently attached to the back, lifts up to allow insertion of sheet film holders and (yes!) insertion type roll holders. The most common insertion type holders for 2x3 cameras are Adapt-A-Roll 620s. There's also a mythical Busch roll holder. The most common insertion type roll holders for 4x5 cameras are probably Cambo/Calumet, Sinar and Toyo.

Visit www.graflex.org, where the differences between Graflok and Graphic (also called spring) backs are explained more fully and to learn more about AAR 620s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin