Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,741   Online: 906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whether or not you want to switch, you'll have to decide yourself, all I can do is offer helpful hints
    Anyway:
    If you don't like the square, and you're cropping to 4:3 or wider anyway, then yes, 645 and 67 make more sense. 645 helps you save on film, 67 gets you bigger potential enlargements. How rich are you vs how often do you print billboards?

Going 645 means you can keep using your current Hassy lenses on adapter (and other brands like Pentacon/Zeiss and Bronica/Nikkor), the only thing in Mamiya-brand you'll need is wider wide-angle lenses.

Going 67 means all new lenses, they're also bigger and heavier.

IQ is always subjective. But in MF there's very rarely any dogs (again, I didn't like my m645 35mm, but I may very well have one that got dropped, so I won't besmirch the whole range because of it).

6x6 I personally find useful, especially with WLF, for street. Square means shoot first, crop to frame later, and no annoying rotating of camera for portraits. M645 is not impossible to hand-hold in portrait orientation, but I've got a busted right shoulder so I try not to do it too often. Best you weigh up your own strength vs how often you currently crop to portrait. And if you don't like square I won't try to convince you otherwise, each to his own.

m645AF are pretty cheap for what they are, maybe $3-500 depending on condition (I think I paid $400 for mine). m645AFD are pretty much the same camera, but they have the ability to add on a digital back, hence they go for more (and the AFDii an onwards are just more expensive again for more digital features).
    If you don't want to get a digital back, just get an AF (or even if you're going to go digital 'sometime in the future', getting a digi-compatible body is peanuts compared to the cost of the backs, so buy one then and still just get AF for now).

And to quote the little girl on the Old El Paso taco ads, "¿por qué no las dos?"
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjarahz View Post
    The ability to hand hold like a DSLR, overall ergonomics. Eye level viewfinder. Interchangeable backs for color and b&w on demand without having to finish off said roll. Auto focus or a confirmation system to get shots off quicker. Metering if possible but I'm getting quite use to my light meter anyway. Lens availability and pricing, I shoot all kinds of things including skateboarding so a cheaper than $2,500 fisheye (Hasselblad) would be kind of nice, but not a deal breaker.

In the process I would rather not downgrade in quality but if I would I'd like to know in which way I would be.
    DSLR handholdable: My m645AF is not much worse than my EOS 3 or 7D, depending on lens mounted. Example comparison here.

Swapping backs, that rules out Pentax 645 and 67, you've said Contax is too expensive, so all that's left is M645 and RB/RZ.

AF Confirm, that's pretty much M645AF (or the already ruled-out Contax, not sure about Pentax).

Lenses, M645 AF lenses are cheap, MF lenses are cheaper (except the 80/1.9 never got made into an AF version). About as cheap as you'll get in MF lenses except Soviet K60/K88 lenses which are a crapshoot (trust me, been there). Also as I've said, adapters let you keep the current ones you've got, even if only to use before you get native-mounts, and then IQ is exactly the same as before.

Fisheye, look into the Zodiak / Arsat / MC Arsat 30mm f/3.5. Blatant ripoff off the $2500 hassy, maybe not as good, but definitely only 1/10th - 1/20th of the price. Pentacon 6 and Kiev 88 mounts natively, maybe they made them in Hassy, definitely adaptable to any 645.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I appreciate everyone's help.

Look like I will go with Dr Croubie's idea of why not both!
    Now time to save up the couple extra dollars to get a decent kit.

It seems $900-$1000 for a complete setup with 80mm 2.8 and one back. Quite excited to check it out when
    I can finally order one, which should be before the year ends. I'm to much of a gear junkie...and a fisheye at potentially
    a 20th of the price of the Hassy one, amazing. Not to mention I can use my current lenses, very cool.

If anyone is letting a unit go, get in contact with me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, as mentioned above, based on your requirements, the Mamiya 645 is the way to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my mamiya 645 pro tl. I was lucky and got the 80mm f/1.9 lens, which has never let me down. I *do* get what you are saying about switching ARs; it took me a while to get used to 645 after shooting on the rollei. Which surprised me, considering I shoot plenty of 35mm on various SLRs.

Anyhow, happy shopping - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, after careful deliberation I've decided to go with a Contax 645 kit.

It basically means I have to part with my rather large Hasselblad kit. Which is not something I'm happy about. And if anyone is looking for a good Hasselblad
    kit with tons of accessories, 3 A-12 backs etc., let me know. Otherwise it's going to B&H for not a lot, someone could pay the same and have a kit here if
    they wanted. At least I know people here would enjoy and use it, who knows what abuse it will suffer at the store.

Anyway, it's what I've always wanted to get and well it looks like I can piece one together for a couple hundred cheaper than a kit. Puts it in range
    after the Hasselblad is gone, unfortunately.

So this is where I'm currently at. Just about to pack the stuff up and send it out tonight, so if anyone is interested let me know before it's gone ha.

The downside is the glass is much more expensive, but I really enjoy Zeiss glass. I think I will be starting out with the 140mm, on my Hasselblad
    I never really went away from my 150 unless I needed a faster lens then I'd recompose with my 80. The 150 was really my walkaround lens almost
    always. From there I'm not sure which lens I'd branch off to, perhaps the 80 just because it's f2. Not sure, suggestions welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're serious about selling it to an APUG member, you should really post a list and a price in the classifieds here. Perhaps I misunderstood you.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    If you're serious about selling it to an APUG member, you should really post a list and a price in the classifieds here. Perhaps I misunderstood you.
    Well, I will be selling it regardless just putting it out there in the thread if anyone is interested or knows someone. I'm not actively going out and seeking a sale outside of B&H anymore than that really.
    At this point I have my quote and shipping label, was just wondering if there was any interest before it ships out. And also stating what my current plans on for anyone that is following.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Please let us know how you like the Contax 645 system after you've used it for a while. You don't read much about Contax 645. I've been tempted by it but went the Mamiya 645 MF way due to cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    Please let us know how you like the Contax 645 system after you've used it for a while. You don't read much about Contax 645. I've been tempted by it but went the Mamiya 645 MF way due to cost.
    I will keep this thread up to date when it arrives with samples etc. I won't have a basis against the Mamiya 645 but I will have opinions on how it functions for my needs.

I've seen it in action like I said that piece I did for Jose Villa - https://vimeo.com/51406079 it seems like a really quick system that I'm going to enjoy.

Now to wait for B&H to send a check etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin