Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,295   Online: 1209

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bronica SQ-Ai Film Counter Issue

Good day to all and Happy Holidays. I have a Bronica SQ-Ai with 120 film backs that seem to stop advancing around the 8-9 mark on the counter. It will shoot fine and advance 1-8 and then I feel like I am double exposing the 8-9 frame. I try to advance the film but seemingly no movement. I'll even use the film back advance but again, its seems that the film is not moving. I have been researching a lot online, here, Flickr and other spots but I am not having much luck in trying to troubleshoot my problem. If anyone can share some tips on how you were able to correct a similar issue, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

God Bless,
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have another back try that and see if the same happens. If it does happen the problem is probably with the camera; if it doesn't happen the problem is probably with the back. I have used Bronicas for many years and I never experience anything like this so can't help further. The cameras and backs are usually pretty robust and seldom give fault. Hopefully someone here will have an idea of what is going on and will be able to help.

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch View Post
    If you have another back try that and see if the same happens. If it does happen the problem is probably with the camera; if it doesn't happen the problem is probably with the back. I have used Bronicas for many years and I never experience anything like this so can't help further. The cameras and backs are usually pretty robust and seldom give fault. Hopefully someone here will have an idea of what is going on and will be able to help.

Neil.
    Thank yo Neil. I'll do that. My hope is that the issue is not in the body. I'll load up the other 120 back today and see what happens. If I remember right, that back does something similar.

God Bless,
    David

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a similar problem with an SQ-A. It would sometimes miscount going thru 2 frames for one. Some times it would go thru most of the roll without stopping. Other times it would act normal but most of roll was blank. Got a new body thru KEH, and its worked fine since (Knock on wood;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, the film indexing is handled in the back. There is an interlock - a tubular protrusion with a pin inside that couples from the back to the body to "communicate" film wind status. There could possibly be dirt or a bent pin in that interface. Trying another back would be the next step. If the problem follows the back, a CLA of the back ought to fix things. Unfortunately, a CLA might cost more than the back -- although another back could be just another source of problems.

My first back (on an SQ-A) just happily wound the entire roll of film through without stopping. They are nice cameras, but the youngest are 15 to 20 years old, and they are quite complex mechanically.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 12-21-2013 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    Thank yo Neil. I'll do that. My hope is that the issue is not in the body. I'll load up the other 120 back today and see what happens. If I remember right, that back does something similar.

God Bless,
    David
    David,

If the second back also has the same problem that would point to the body. Do you have a friend nearby with the Bronica SQ system you could call on to see if your backs would work on their Bronica body (or vice the versa). One good thing about the Bronis being mainly mechanical and a system camera is that they can normally be fixed or failing that a new back, body or lens sourced in.

Best of luck and let us hear how you get on.

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I shot both 120 backs this morning. The 120-i back I initially had that has been giving me issues is still stopping short (around frame 7/8). The regular 120 back did great. I put some Zippo lighter fluid onto the gears though earlier this week to try and loosen any dirt and such as it was giving me some issues before. So once the film is done in the 120-i back, I'll do the same thing with the lighter fluid and see what happens. Now the other question is anyone near Oklahoma City that I could buy a roll of 120 film from to run another test roll through ? I'm currently in Lawton, OK with my in-laws and will be leaving in about a week.

God Bless,
    David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If all you are doing is running a roll through to test the frame counter, a suggestion: Spool up the backing paper from an already processed roll and use this to run through the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    If all you are doing is running a roll through to test the frame counter, a suggestion: Spool up the backing paper from an already processed roll and use this to run through the camera.
    Wish I could. Any paper or developed film is back home. I'll keep that suggestion in mind for the next time.

God Bless,
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a follow up, my sister-in-law bought me some T-max 100 film for Christmas. I loaded the roll in the back that has been giving the problems described above. After giving the insert gearing a few squirts of Zippo lighter fluid, the counter advanced to 10 but stopped there. Progress in part but still disappointed. Oh well; I'll see how the second roll does and perhaps send it in for repair. Thanks to all for showing interest in this issue and offering some advice.

God Bless,
    David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin