Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,513   Posts: 1,598,176   Online: 841

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claudius View Post
    hi poul
    i just fixed my zeiss few weeks ago.
    as told in previous post, disasemble the shutter and take off the lens.
    to clean the shutter and iris, i bought some iso/propylalohol , poured enough to cover the shutter in a plastic bag.
    then placed it in a michrowave spectacle cleaning unit for a couple of cycles.
    according to my watchmaker, propyl works better than anything else and leaves no trace of oil.
    only thing is, that if shutter is soaked for more than 5-10 min, printed letters might dissolve.
    ocasionally you can dismantle printed areas.
    work the shutter and iris while soaked wet, dip in fresh propyl and leave to dry.
    if you have to oil. only oil visible parts in the shutter sparingly.
    it works for me.
    klaus
    I assume you mean a "ultrasonic", not "microwave".
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being metal, putting a shutter in a microwave is a no-no.

I would not oil any part of the shutter. Klio (Prontor) shutters are designed to run completely dry and oiling them will at best not help and at worst attract dust which will erode the moving parts.
    Last edited by Peltigera; 01-13-2014 at 06:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to correct my appalling spelling.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A camera like this is probably 60 years old. It probably has never been serviced in its life. It would be surprising if it worked correctly.

I would guess that some routine service would bring it back into working order.

By the way, the cost of paying someone to service the camera would easily exceed what you paid for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have not found the proper screw yet and want to test it with film, use a cable release. But you have to remove the screw that covers the cable release socket on the shutter assembly, if you can find the proper screwdriver for it. (The slit is quite narrow)

Have inspected my Nettar, I believe the screw needed is a pivot screw. If you will use an ordinary screw, I think it will just lock up the linkage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have yet to see a screw covering the cable release socket. I suppose they might have been fitted on new cameras but none of my collection (just over 40) have a cover in place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The screw cover on the cable release socket may have been introduced in the later models of the 518/16. I think on models with the anti-double X assembly. In these models, you will notice a different shutter button as the cable release socket is now incorporated like modern shutter buttons.

I have the 518/16 Novar f:4.5 with Pronto shutter, this has the later anti-double X. Based on info found on the net, circa 1955-56.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the 518/16 has two cable release sockets - one on the body release and one on the shutter housing. I was not aware of the one on the body release - I just never looked that closely, I guess. The shutter housing cable release socket can be clearly seen in this picture from Marriott's World.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best idea would be to look for an inexpensive non working camera on ebay for donor parts. I have this camera with the f6.3 lens. Makes great negs/images!
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my case, when I got the 518/16, I did not notice the cable release socket in the shutter button. I was preparing to check for the accuracy of the focus and tried to take out the cover screw on the one in the shutter assembly, could not find a screwdriver to fit, then I noticed the one in the shutter release button so problem solved.

Yes, it will be simpler to find a donor unit, but the quality of these cameras are good. Unless they were exposed to the elements, they can be revived...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDK View Post
    Yup, I found the lever and I'm able to fire the shutter now. Thank you very much. Now I just have to find a correct size screw, unless it's a special design screw
    And now we have a winner! The advice on APUG is worth more than it costs.

Welcome to APUG and enjoy your camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin