Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,498   Online: 676

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16 shutter stuck

Hey guys.

I just bought the Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16 from the local flea market for around $18. It looks almost like new, but the shutter cocking lever is stuck. Is there a way I can fix that?

//Paul.
    Last edited by PaulDK; 12-21-2013 at 10:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 518/16 shutter stuck

You need to take the lens and shutter assembly off the camera/bellows. Its probably held on in the rear with a locking ring. I worked on a similar camera, the zeiss super ikonta and that was what held the assembly. Then you should remove the lens cells to access the shutter. Use a spanner again and take off the front and back cells. In the front of my super ikonta there was a front lens ring that was secured by set screws your may or may not have it. Then the simplest thing to do without going further to disassembly, spray some naphtha onto the blades and try working them. It might just loosen up any crud and get it working again. This fix is not a good way to do it, as stuff that gets loosened might migrate and end up breaking something else. But at $18 its not a big deal. If you have never any camera repair it might be better to send it out and pay someone to get it working. Never force anything, take your time, and use the right tools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I have never repaired a camera before, so I will take it to a repair shop if I can track one down here in Denmark. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to cameras.

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Paul, these cameras sometimes have double exposure prevention. If the mechanism is as simple, as in my Moskva, you only need to rotate winding dial a bit for the shutter button to become operable. Else - camera repair shop... "Wind" the dial (on camera body), cock the shutter (near the lens) and it should work.
    Last edited by q_x; 12-21-2013 at 08:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have three Nettars and yes, winding on usually fixes things. Another 'feature' is if you gently press the shutter without following through, the double exposure prevention mechanism counts this as a shot, and locks everything up so you have to wind on again.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just to point out that you could spend more on service than you paid for the camera. But it's a one-time cost.

If you plan to buy more older cameras in the future, you should factor in the cost of service or try to buy one that's already been serviced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get a new shutter quite cheaply on Ebay, I'm assuming it's the small Prontor.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually the double exposure prevention i think is on the body itself, with my super ikonta you can depress the area next to the lens that the linkage connects and it will fire the shutter without needing to advance. I think getting a cheap working replacement shutter would be the best idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sadly it didn't help by pressing the shutter button half way down or rotating the winding dial a bit. I noticed something right next to the bellow, which looks like a screw is missing. Could that be the problem?

Click image for larger version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	78837

Anyhoo, if a repair cost the double of what I paid for the camera, well then the camera would be a nice display item on my shelf No big loss of money on my budget.

Shooter
    35mm
    I stripped a Netta down without any prior experience, they're incredibly easy to work on. My guess is a linkage has come adrift rather than the shutter. I'd take the top off and have a poke around, you can't break something that doesn't work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin