Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,644   Online: 942

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya c33 question

Hi and happy holidays,
    Quick question, I recently picked up a mamiya c33, I had a c330 for years and always regretted selling it. To get to the point, my frustration level is through the roof with the C33. When I load a roll the film advance doesn't stop at the first frame on the roll, i've ended up winding the whole roll through it. Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong or if there's a mechanical problem. Any ideas? I've never run into this issue with any of my other medium format cameras.
    Thanks y'all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

There is a problem with the winding mechanism counter. Without physically see it, I cannot tell whether it is caused by dirt, worn parts or broken parts. One of the Mamiyaflex users will chime in with suggestions and recommendations.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been a Mamiya T.L.R user for thirty odd years, and your winding mechanism is faulty, the camera is more than 40 years old and needs professionally servicing if you need a reliable picture taking machine.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume the part you are having problems is the same as on a C3. Under the cover on the right side is a paw mechanics that stops the film when it reaches the next frame. The grease dries up preventing it from dropping in, allowing the film to keep winding. It has been years since I repaired mine, but it was easy. The covering is pried up, knobs removed, then the cover's screws. Once removed it is simple to clean and re-lube. Somewhere on the internet there is a repair manual that shows this, although it may have been for a C330. I've owned a C3, C220, and currently own a C330f, and have used a C33. They are great cameras, and easy to repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check that the back is latched properly. The frame counter mechanism is a friction drive on the film backing, and if the back is not latched tight on both sides it can slip. The back also depresses the frame counter reset tab (upper right with the camera back open).

Make sure the shutter release (on the camera, not the shutter) is not partially depressed. This is normally more of a problem with the C330, but if you are triggering the quick wind-off feature, this will have the effect you describe.

Make sure the frame counter is reset to zero when loading the film. Does it advance with the film wind? If you have trashed a roll of film with this fault, just manually rewind it and keep it for testing - it is better than a roll of backing paper. If the frame counter does not reset, then there is a problem with the frame counter mechanism.

The C33 came in several variants. Some were 120 only, some had the internal frame counter mechanism for 120/220, and some had the external mods for taking the 220 back. The ones taking 220 have a second frame counter reset pin, and a cut-out in the upper right rear of the body to accommodate the large chrome pin on the 220 back.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much for the replies, it's greatly appreciated! I will probably just have it serviced. My fingers are not quite a dexterous with small mechanics as they once were. Hope you all have a happy new year and thanks again for the help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin