Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1134

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The manual, plus lots of other information is available here;
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu

One of the features at Hasselblad Historical is a back mis-match register, don't know how current it is though.
    Supposedly, the backs and inserts are matched, on a practical basis, however it makes no difference (except that mis-matched backs are cheaper).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Looking on KEH's site a short time back for a couple more A12 backs, I noticed that the remark "matching numbers" appears frequently as part of the product description for the A12s. Anybody have any idea why? Is this a variant/mutation of "Fanboy-itis," wherein the serial number of the A12 casing must match that of the insert? (lol) Do "correct" serial numbers influence market value, and if so why? It's not that I give a s**t (all six of my current A12s do, however); I am just curious as to why KEH - and other sellers, I assume - make mention of the fact.
    it is in fact desireable that the last few digits3?of insert and housing match.apparently this is due to the tight manufacturing tolerancesand optimum film plane placement when insert and housing have been matched to each other. I have some that do and some that don't but never realized a difference in sharpness.nevertheless. it seems to have an effect on resale.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it is not too hard to measure inserts and backs after machining and try to match best-fitting pairs before giving them a serial number, but I haven't noticed anything inferior with non-matching backs eeitherother than the fact that they seem to be less sought after.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had mismatching backs and inserts that have inconsistent frame spacing but have not noticed any difference in sharpness. That said I rarely shoot wide open and close up. If I did I'd use only matching backs/inserts to play it safer.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since most people's practical experience is that it doesn't matter much, I wonder (rhetorically, of course) why Hasselblad bothered -- it must have added considerably to the manufacturing complexity/cost to match serial numbers like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Since most people's practical experience is that it doesn't matter much, I wonder (rhetorically, of course) why Hasselblad bothered -- it must have added considerably to the manufacturing complexity/cost to match serial numbers like that.
    I think in the end it did make a difference though one which when stopped down a little from wide open is either indistinguishable for most practical purposes. Sort of like the glass back pressure plate available for many of the Rolleiflex models. In theory it held the film flatter or guaranteed film flatness. But most report back plenty good sharpness without using it.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTF: Hasselblad Film Back Serial Numbers

One thing to remember, when new these babies were ridiculously expensive. Perhaps the market demanded such tolerances and expected inserts and backs to have matching serials numbers showing such tolerances were checked and "certified". Whether it made a big or significant difference in the result may have been if no matter, it's what was expected so they did it. Probably used this aspect and feature in marketing too. Heck, it's still working to this day: backs with matching insert serial numbers sell for more.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've heard that you can have issues that have inserts that don't "match" the backs. It locks up or something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The truth is, while Hasselblads are special, they aren't that special. They are not divine, they weren't made my God, and they are not perfect; or anywhere close to it. Infinity is all over the place. A lens focuses past infinity on one, won't go to infinity on another, mirrors are crooked, the cameras shake when they go off like an earthquake. The leak light like a sieve a lot of times. And they jam. They're unique, and they are a system that works pretty well together. Were it not so, the Apollo Program would not have used them. They're only as well made as is possible by humans, but they're certainly not perfect. At the time of their invention and for a period of years after that, they were the only ones of their kind. And so their reputation stems from that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    The truth is, while Hasselblads are special, they aren't that special. They are not divine, they weren't made my God, and they are not perfect; or anywhere close to it. Infinity is all over the place. A lens focuses past infinity on one, won't go to infinity on another, mirrors are crooked, the cameras shake when they go off like an earthquake. The leak light like a sieve a lot of times. And they jam. They're unique, and they are a system that works pretty well together. Were it not so, the Apollo Program would not have used them. They're only as well made as is possible by humans, but they're certainly not perfect. At the time of their invention and for a period of years after that, they were the only ones of their kind. And so their reputation stems from that.
    Tom,
    they are asgoodas humans can make and as divine as they are appreciated by their proud and brokeowners
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin