Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,155   Online: 1068

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    The truth is, while Hasselblads are special, they aren't that special. They are not divine, they weren't made my God, and they are not perfect; or anywhere close to it. Infinity is all over the place. A lens focuses past infinity on one, won't go to infinity on another, mirrors are crooked, the cameras shake when they go off like an earthquake. The leak light like a sieve a lot of times. And they jam. They're unique, and they are a system that works pretty well together. Were it not so, the Apollo Program would not have used them. They're only as well made as is possible by humans, but they're certainly not perfect. At the time of their invention and for a period of years after that, they were the only ones of their kind. And so their reputation stems from that.
    Your Hasselblads are in serious need of a CLA. Infinity should not vary. The mirror should not be crooked. They should not
    shake when they go off like an earthquake
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Tom,
    they are asgoodas humans can make and as divine as they are appreciated by their proud and brokeowners
    I think they're like anything else I have learned to work on. When you know how to work on something, it loses it's "specialness". The first time I opened up an ELM, I was a bit disappointed because there wasn't much in it. At least not like I had expected. I thought the peg on the gear that pushes the mirror back up after the initial bounce was pretty neat, but I thought the stilt on the non-operator's side of the mirror hinge impressed me as an after-thought, and seemed pretty cheapie-looking. But it does work well, I'll hand it that. As for me, I've made the decision to get rid of all my Hasselblad gear. It's beyond my means for my income level and I can't justify it. Going to just stick with my Nikkormat FTn and my 8x10 with the old Betax shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matching numbers help assure that the back and insert are the closest possible match to the specifications. All my backs have matching numbers and I have not had problems. You may want to contact KEH and see if they will exchange your back for one that has matching numbers.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [dons nomex underwear ]
    when it is cold I take my c330 otherwise I need to Ziploc the backs and pocket them to keep the film warm if I might need to shoot at wide aperture.
    They are not practical for wild life or street candids.
    If I was more cynical Id sell buy film and another RB67 lens?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    lots of BMW people talk about matching numbers, even in newer 70's and 80's bikes. if all this hand crafted nonsense is worth anything more then then prestige, it must be subjective. While Hasselblad and lieca make sharp lenses, and were originally an innovative design, no handcrafted thing can compete with machine and computer precision (at least in terms of reliability and consistency) which is probably why hasselblads are now made by fuji, in Japan, on a cell system assembly line (each product is built from start to finish by one person).

If the backs have such tight tolerances so that they must be matched to inserts, it kind of defeats the purpose of having inserts in the first place, that is so that you can have many inserts ready to go instead of having lots of full backs ready to go.
    Just the same as selling spare parts for a motorcycle, where you cannot really replace any parts, because they will never match or work properly. With older BMW's it is the fact of life that while they are fairly reliable, they always leak, klunk and woozzie, they are very heavy, and all that for apparent reason, other then tradition... I feel the same way about hasselblads and liecas...
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    lots of BMW people talk about matching numbers, even in newer 70's and 80's bikes. if all this hand crafted nonsense is worth anything more then then prestige, it must be subjective. While Hasselblad and lieca make sharp lenses, and were originally an innovative design, no handcrafted thing can compete with machine and computer precision (at least in terms of reliability and consistency) which is probably why hasselblads are now made by fuji, in Japan, on a cell system assembly line (each product is built from start to finish by one person).

If the backs have such tight tolerances so that they must be matched to inserts, it kind of defeats the purpose of having inserts in the first place, that is so that you can have many inserts ready to go instead of having lots of full backs ready to go.
    Just the same as selling spare parts for a motorcycle, where you cannot really replace any parts, because they will never match or work properly. With older BMW's it is the fact of life that while they are fairly reliable, they always leak, klunk and woozzie, they are very heavy, and all that for apparent reason, other then tradition... I feel the same way about hasselblads and liecas...
    tell me why and howcomputer-made items are more reliable than hand-crafted parts.
    your spell checker didn't catch lieca, did it
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    90% of my backs are early and it doesn't make any difference.
    How early? And what 'Blad do you use them on?
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    tell me why and howcomputer-made items are more reliable than hand-crafted parts.
    Thats right. But don't ask me (and my poor spelling), just ask GM, brittish layland and... Hasselblad...
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's the story of the industrial revolution, is it not?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    read the user guide...
    Yes, read the manual. Writing a short description is usually too much work for some people. And don't you know we are supposed to have every manual to every camera ever made, even if we buy it used with no manual?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin